Has the GSD breed been destroyed? Controversial

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by jeagibear, Nov 24, 2011.

1. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    hi. its because they have followed the show line and show standards,they just made the body, almost un-workable. then they deny the fact that they are any worse than some other breeds. that australian tv programe "The trouble with pedigree dogs!" showed exactly what has happened. yet it has been deteriorating for many years.
    p.s. alsation was only used to sell the breed, after the war.. when they couldnt sell anything german. u see it is all down to money...N ot the poor dogs.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GSD-Sue

GSD-Sue New Member

Name:
    Sue
  4. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    get your facts correct then maybe people will listen, if you can't get the facts correct at least spell the name they used correctly
    intialy they were foreign sheepdogs, then foreign police dogs this was before any war as the breed was already in the UK albeit in small numbers before the 1st World War
  5. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay

The name Alsatian was used after the war alright World War One & was used as the country at that time was extremely anti anything German so please get your facts right-there were occurances of Dachshunds being killed for being a"Hun"breed & innocent naturalised British Citizens of German orgin living in the UK attacked after WWI

As for the BBC program PDE it was made by a rather biased woman, who herself has a breed that is riddled with cancer problems(breed not mentioned in the program)

The GSDs shown were both German(one an import & one a dog owned & resident in Germany that was also the World Champion who both have/had a complete set of Sch H qualifications)The other GSD shown was a 6 month old puppy at Manchester Ch Show that was in no way related to either of the adult dogs.

FYI in Germany the GSD is bred to exactly the same breed standard whether it is from working or showlines
  6. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I think if you went to the Police Dog trials you`d see the dogs are absolutely wonderful.
    The dogs in a show ring are handled and shown in a particular way - not to my taste but I doubt they are unsound or they would be useless for breeding as so many of their progeny will be required to work.
  7. gsd lover

gsd lover New Member

Name:
    hayley
    i have a german show line and there is nothing wrong with her body she can still clear a 6ft wall and can run like the wind IMO nothing wrong with the minds or the bodies :?
  8. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ....my two penny worth... sounds to me you dont like GSD's..after all they iz what they iz,not what they woz :)
  9. BangKaew

BangKaew New Member

Name:
    Bangkaew
    going purely on looks, i think the dog in picture number 1 looks best. Followed by 4 and 6. No idea whether these dog have /would have problems.
  10. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    there is a club advertising in wales, who say they used madeleines line. they believe in them.
    they breed for police, caring dogs etc. thk u.
  11. GSD-Sue

GSD-Sue New Member

Name:
    Sue
    What have concenn dogs to do wirh your statement that your dog is from Druidswood lines. I take it you meant that the dog has Druidswood back a couple or more generations in his pedigree but I (& I assume wildmoor) took it that you mean't he was of Druidswood breeding, ie his sire or dam had the Druidswood affix.
  12. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    You have chosen the 3 dogs from the 1960s/1970s & the best I can say about one of them (4)is he had a good temperament, all three had the wrong proportions(should be :-10(length) to 9 or 8 and a half(height)), they all had soft toplines & incorrect movement & none had any health tests donw, but two are from know lines that produce(d)epilepsy on a all too regular basis-none of them worked or had any qualification other that UK breed championship
  13. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    How can No.1 be classed as the "perfect dog" by the breed standard (as per your previous post), but also have "incorrect proportions, a soft topline and incorrect movement?" Confusing! :?

R.E. Dog 2 - clearly I have good taste, I like him the best ;-)
  14. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    Yes Sue because that is the impression this person gave

If they are perfect lines what did Druidswood Consort give to the breed? can the o/p answer this?
  15. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    Jodee, I liked number three and the bottom one.

OP, which rescue did you get your dog from?
  16. BangKaew

BangKaew New Member

Name:
    Bangkaew
    They look good, the only difference between them and 1 that I can see is that in 1 the head is pointing down more, which I happen to like.

Can anyone tell me how the breed started to be slanted like that? In my dogs, the back legs are actually longer. The BK finds it difficult to sit as a result. When the small dog has an aggressive posture the back slants and it looks good so I wonder if the breeders went for that aggressive looking posture..
  17. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    I prefer number 5 pic and also number 2 going on looks
  18. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Very interesting to see the differences of opinion and who favours which "type" or "types".
  19. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    I used to be all for the straight backs but now i really like the german line like yogi too! :)
    When i say straightbacks though i mean like the dogs at glebe von wood etc not like the ones in the first picture
  20. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    but in most of the 'slanted' pics the dogs are 'stacked' so it doesnt give the same topline as when standing normally
  21. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    GSDs can & do actually "pose"themselves with one backleg out. I must get my one good photo of my"GSD"of a lifetime standing himself perfectly like this. The "stacked/posed" stance has nothing to do with looking aggressive. GSDs should not be aggressive BTW

GSDs & all trotting dogs need they withers to be higher that their hindquarters, this allows them to trot effortlessly for lengthy periods(as needed to work sheep & cattle German style) If they have a level topline in stance when they trot they fall on forehand & basically "run downhill" meaning they have to expend more energy