Schutzhund - show and working title? Working Dogs

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Moobli, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Shrap

Shrap New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I'm annoyed because your one liner did imply all show dogs have to pay for it. Of course I'm aware it happens - frequently. It also happens that some WGSL do actually retain enough drive.
    My boy is only just finished teething so nothing yet. We were going from 9 weeks old but it's so far away and I don't drive. I have to rely on my mother. It would take 3-4 hours by public transport. :( :(
    Believe me he has the attitude :D

Maybe when he's older I could paint him sable and compete ;)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I look forward to seeing you on the field ;)
  4. Shrap

Shrap New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Hehe :lol:
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Do you intend to compete with Dino? Be good to give the working line sheps a run for their money ;-)
  6. Shrap

Shrap New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I never did intend to, but since we were told they can't I'm now considering it ;-)
    I think it's probably down to the fact that the show dogs who actually could compete, spend all their time training in the ring. Most people just train them enough to get their qualifications and then drop it.
    Although I do want to show Dino, I can only do it in open shows since he's a LC. But tbh if I had to choose, I'd choose Schutzhund because Dino adores any work we do for it.

I'll need to go looking for the sable paint, I'm sure it'll be in the same aisle as the tartan paint! :mrgreen:
  7. Kizzy24

Kizzy24 New Member

Name:
    Michelle
    Show line people pay big money for their dogs to go over to foreign countries and "get their title". Saw a SCH I male bought by friends (showline) and for a laugh we through a dumbell....dog looked like we had two heads....also didnt even know how to jump a half metre hurdle never mind a full! So don't think SCH III showline males/females have actually done it...if in doubt ask them to work the whole obedience and protection round for you....you will see their faces drop if they havn't really done it.
  8. Shrap

Shrap New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I've seen a video of my boy's sire doing the protection phase thanks!
  9. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Off to youtube :grin:
  10. Shrap

Shrap New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I don't remember if it's on YouTube or fb. If you do find it could you send me it please! I didn't bookmark it for some reason
  11. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
  12. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
  13. Shrap

Shrap New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Must be lol! He could really do with a bit better training but you can't say he's not into it ;)

Needs a better grip and more impulse control.

Did the video say the date? He must have been quite young there. Cos I know he stayed with Vomzoarhoff for a while but he was too "dominant". He's only just turned 3. Can't have had that much training?

When I get training with Dino I'll post some vids of course :)
  14. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, his heelwork left a wee bit to be desired :lol: I don't know what year that was filmed, it was just the first video that came up.
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I suppose, at the end of the day, it is all about what you want your GSD for and to do.

If you want a dog to compete in WT or Schutzhund, or to train as a police service dog, then of course you are MORE LIKELY to succeed in those goals with a dog bred from working lines.

However, if a pet or a show dog is what is required, then it is probably wise to look more toward the show lines.

This doesn't meant that the working lines wouldn't make good pets or the show line wouldn't make a good working dog - but you just stack the odds a little more in your favour if you go for the lines that most suit what you want from your dog.

Horses for courses :)
  16. Shrap

Shrap New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Those videos were from this year's Sieger show! I'm sure I saw one before September though! Will try and find something!
  17. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Have you found anything else?
  18. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    LOVE this photo - showing the agile showline shepherd :grin:

[​IMG]