Has your cross-breed ever been mistaken for a pedigree dog? Discussions

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by SmokeyRabbit, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Someone once asked me what breed Hal was ... I replied he is a mongrel, a mal, husky mix of northern breeds.

The reply came "oh, he is so beautiful I thought he must be a pedigree, what a shame!!"

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I get it the other way round as having a so-called "vulnerable" breed which is uncommon people often ask me if they are "Labra-doodles"! (or Poo-adors as I call them!) They look nothing like though!
  4. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    My 3 are often mistaken as pure sibes or alaskan malamutes. Angel has been mistaken for a pure GSD also. Angel & Misty were once referred to as Saluki's by someone I can only assume was either half blind of a bit stupid!
  5. DoKhyi

DoKhyi New Member

Name:
    DoKhyi
    My first dog was mainly collie cross golden retreiver. I can't say 100% as she was from the local pet shop. She was very pretty with fringed pricked ears, a rough collie sable red coat that was smooth with no undercoat and silky fringeing and she moved like a dream. I was asked all the time what breed she was and they were genuinely surprised when I said she was a mongrel. I usually got a comment along the lines of "I can't believe it - she's too beautiful to be a mutt!" :lol:

And vice versa, poor Flynn gets "I know he's cross with an Alsatian, but what else is he cross with?" and my answer is usually "People who think he's an Alsatian cross!" which always gets a laugh. Or "Is he a rottweiler cross?", "he's one of those Burmese mountain dogs ain't he - my mate's got one just like him...", "that's a wolf cross with a rottweiller - I know coz my gran has one!" and many others. Which is fair enough as Tibetan Mastiffs are hardly well known. Sophie has got mistaken for a chow from the back by a chow owner who cycled up to us for a closer look. Most people just blurt out "What a lovely dog!" and leave it at that with both of them.
  6. footsieG

footsieG New Member

Name:
    Gayle
    Several years ago a patient in the Home I was working at, asked me 'why hadn't I docked her tail', I was miffed at first until I realized she thought my English Setter was a spaniel. Did9't try to put her right because it makes me smile every time I think of it.
  7. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    oh just remembered, I think Honey and Diesel have been mistaken for ridgebacks once, I say think as its the only breed I can think he meant, but there was a guy in the doorway of a dry cleaners, he was white, but had a african accent, and we were chatting bout the dogs, when I noticed that although he was happy chatting bout them, he didn't want them near him, which is fair enough, but I was a bit shocked at the end of the convo when he turned round and said 'they can kill lions can't they', :shock:, breathing on her wrong can tear Honey's skin, let alone a lions claw or tooth, but I just really didn't know what to say, well it did make a change from everyone thinking their Greyhounds at least.
  8. ace_tweety

ace_tweety New Member

Name:
    Deborah
    Max our collie x rottie was mistaken for a huntaway. Never heard of the breed until she mentioned it but he does look a bit like it!
  9. missy01

missy01 New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    ah yes, even people with Cavs think Missy is a pure bred. Until they see the teeth...
  10. Red[dog]

Red[dog] New Member

Name:
    Red
    Ooops, sorry SLB! Very delayed reply but he's black, and looks Lab apart from the ears!

[​IMG]

The other week whilst walking my dog in the woods, a woman who walks her Giant Poodle there was talking to my nana, saying how 'all those rescues' are responsible for promoting cross-breeds and how as a direct results you see less purebred dogs in the world, and isn't it sad...she looked very shocked when I told her the dog running around with hers was a cross and from a rescue! :mrgreen:

Red
  11. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    not mine. mine are lassies lol. but theres a rather nice cross down the road from us that looks like a smaller version of a DTR :)
  12. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

When it was just Ben I didnt but now my two are so similar people ask what breed they are, or if they are mini/teacup collies

lol, but sometimes people really dont know about their dogs
    I have had someone proudly tell me their collie was actually crossed with a fox, the farmer did that to make them smarter (well smarter than the person buying the dog)

and a few people round here think they have wolf crosses, which I really doubt, gsd cross yup
  13. mac82

mac82 New Member

Name:
    mac82
    we have been asked "is that a big pug?" no it a dogue de bordeaux or french mastiff
    "is that an akita?" no that is a dogue de bordeaux or french mastiff. . . . . .
    "is that like one of the queens dogs?" no they are corgi's this is a papillon . . .
    these people were all adults and supposedly fully functioning you wonder what they have seen in the past to ask these questions though!!
  14. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    i'm not surprised joe public gets confused:) i've seen ad today for tri coloured yorkshire terriers!
  15. mac82

mac82 New Member

Name:
    mac82
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
  16. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    They are real..Yorkies have piebald genetic recessive gene
    look up Biewer terriers ...
  17. mac82

mac82 New Member

Name:
    mac82
    yes but would indidviduals advertising in the free ads know of them i wonder?? plus with how rare they are, is it more likely the grandad was jrt?
    have just seen pied daschund as well now i didnt know they came in that particular colouring!
  18. mac82

mac82 New Member

Name:
    mac82
    sorry typing allowed again!!
  19. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Merlin is - of course! :lol: - a pedigree Alsatian! When I say no, they tentatively suggest German Shepherd :rolleyes:

Rue on the other hand, only gets asked if she has "some Alsatian in there?" or what her GSD parent was crossed with.

I was also once asked if they were related, to which I replied "Yes, probably about 70 years ago."

(for the record, Merlin is Belgian Shepherd Groenendael X working sheepdog, and Rue is a full-bred Belgian Malinois).
  20. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Amber tibetan terrier, she is a cocker poodle x

Totts chihuahua she is a jrt x something
  21. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Name:
    Simon
    Sophie has been a Kelpie or a Welsh Sheepdog.

To be honest we're not too sure what she is, although Fenland Cat Herder would be a fitting name!!!

[​IMG]