More working GSD questions! Working Dogs

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Moobli, Sep 27, 2011.

1. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan New Member

Name:
    Nick
    The heelwork in WT is not meant to be as precise as obedience, however some judges seem to be looking for that. What most appear to want to see is a really good level of control....and its not many marks btw!

The best handlers I've met with heelwork concentrate more on their own footwork and mostly train about turns, maybe one or two steps at most, then when it comes to competition it should work out. The good thing about training this way is its only a couple of minutes a day followed by a good play.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Sounds a good idea, thanks Nick. At the moment, I play with his tug, then tuck it under my arm and then do a few steps of heel, with his head up looking for his toy, and then I drop it down for him and play again. I don't spend a long time on it :)
  4. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan New Member

Name:
    Nick
    Sounds good, would also work in about turns on your heel, making T-shapes with your feet.
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thank you for the tips Nick. I will do :grin:
  6. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan New Member

Name:
    Nick
    Np probs, let us know how many times you fall over when you do about turns making T shapes with your feet :lol:

(....and you can just see the dog looking at you thinking 'numpty human'......and:lol: , yes I'm speaking from experience!)
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    :lol: :lol: :lol: I think I will practise a bit WITHOUT the dog first :lol:
  8. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    I used to practise dogless in supermarket carparks got allsorts of looks :lol: :lol:
  9. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan New Member

Name:
    Nick
    :lol: guy i train with said his work mates caught him doing it on a break - took a right slagging! :lol:
  10. Indra

Indra New Member

Name:
    Indra
    Heelwork is my bete noire. I'm so busy trying to smile at the dog and watch my feet that my straight lines become diagonals!