White Boxers General Chat

Discussion in 'Boxer' started by greyhoundk, May 24, 2011.

1. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor

White Boxers

Apologies if this is in the wrong place !

I have just seen my next door neighbour but one (i am on good terms with them just don't see them often) with a white boxer pup.

They are first time dog owners, don't get me wrong i love boxers but am thinking maybe not for novice owners ? also excuse my ignorance but a white boxer of course i know they exist but whats the possibility of the dog being deaf or is that a common misconception ?

The pup also had its tail docked which i thought was illegal ?

Not optimistic about the dogs future :?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Docking is illegal ,might be a Irish import.
    Is the dog all white or does it have any patches ??
  4. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor
    From what i could see its all white.

I haven't had a chance to speak to them yet, i will though just to be nosy so i can find out where they got the dog from and other details (nosy aint i :roll: ) i know i shouldn't jump the gun but i wish people would think a bit more before getting a dog :?
  5. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    I don't think deafness is any more common in a white boxer than any other white coated dog. I was once told that if a boxer had coloured patches it was less likely to be deaf. Not sure if there is any truth in it :?
  6. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Its the colour pigment in the inner ear that causes deafness ..so your unlikely to see a parti coloured dog with hearing issues ...
  7. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor
    So there is a good chance it may be deaf ? only just thinking maybe they don't know, especially if they got it from someone not very scrupulous, and its tail is docked.....
  8. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I would not worry ...
  9. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Taken from elsewhere ..
    MYTH NUMBER 3: All white boxers are deaf and are not trainable.

THE TRUTH IS: Although there is a higher incidence of deafness when a boxer is white (approximately 18% of whites), not all are deaf. Deaf boxers can be trained using a variety of methods including hand signals, sign language, flashlights and more. Training any boxer, hearing or deaf, requires time, patience and understanding.
  10. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    There is a simple way to find out if the dog has unilateral or bilateral hearing loss, tell them to check with the vet; however it maybe that this pup has already been BAER tested by the breeder.

It is definitely illegal to dock Boxers in the UK.
  11. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor
    Thanks for your replies, guess i'll have to wind my neck in until i actually talk to them lol
  12. ATD

ATD New Member

Name:
    Anne-Theresa
    everyone is a novice the first time the own a different breed of dog, i dont agree with just because they are first time owners they should not get a boxer.

deafness not a clue on sorry.

Docking is illegal in this country but he could have come from elsewhere also isnt there loop holes that can be used? health ect?

ATD x
  13. Moli

Moli New Member

Name:
    pat
    I had a pure white Boxer, she had a blue eye and a brown eye, and her hearing was perfect....
  14. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Just get them to blow a whistle whilst the pup is asleep see what reaction he gives ..
    Some people clap next to a pup but i am not sure if the dog would pick up the vibration...
    I have never known a boxer breeder to baer test SB..
  15. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    WHITE BOXERS - FACT NOT FICTION

For the past 7 plus months WHITE BOXERS have been shown and can now be bred from in their native Germany. The German Breed Council who are the breeds governing council have decreed this fact.

With EC rules and regulations the rest of Europe will follow suit

There is absolutely no difference in a WHITE BOXER to any other colour of Boxer. They are purely and simply a WHITE dog.

As for first time owners - perhaps they have looked into the breed and decided a Boxer is for them. Nearly 30 years ago I went from showing and owning Chihuahuas and Griffon Bruxellois to Boxers:grin: :grin:
  16. pam

pam New Member

Name:
    PAM
    Ive owned a white boxer:grin: her hearing was fine well apart from the normal! selective hearing lol

not only can white boxers be deaf but the reds/brindles can also be deaf.If i have a litter i must say im reluctant to sell to a 1st time boxer owner,they are not for the faint hearted
  17. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    We all are first time owners at sometime Pam. However i do know what you mean. Too many Boxers in rescue, too many owners not willing to work with the dog, its easier just to "get rid". :)
  18. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    It is, but we still see docked Boxers /Rottis and so on popping up.

There is another explanation though the pup could be from a bobtail litter.
  19. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Yes indeed you are correct. Frustrating for Boxer bobtail owners to be questioned re legality of the dogs shorter tail:shock:

I wonder if other breed enthusiastics are trying out the "bobtail" way?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2011
  20. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    My friend has 3 rescued Boxers from scottish boxer welfare, 1 is white, Buster, a lovely character, with slight deafness, Lubo and Kierra are beautiful too,and your right way too many in rescue :(
  21. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    75 boxer were put into rescue after a boxer kennel closed ,all found places thank god...