Another grey coming to stay General Chat

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by HiHoSilver, Apr 13, 2011.

1. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie

Another grey coming to stay

From a breeder who won't put her in rescue because he feels personally responsible for her and wants to be able to keep track of her.Once a dog goes into rescue it is lost to the previous owner.They're not allowed to know where it has gone and are given a brush off 'oh it's fine' answer from the rescue if they enquire.
    I understand why rescues don't give out too much info on surrendered dogs but I also understand why people take the risk of private rehomings to strangers.:cry:
    No easy answers..:cry:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Sounds like a nice caring breeder
  4. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    We will expect lots of pics of your new one. Are you fostering or a forever home..
  5. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Keeping her.I promised him I would.Some of the racing boys are like this,Mark has never gone to the vet with a healthy one and this lady has been in his house while she was waiting.It's a shame the way the fraternity are all tarred with the same brush.I'd like to see commercial racing stopped but if they were all like this guy there'd be no need.
  6. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    I'd love to see some pics. Of your whole gang actually. Sounds like you have a right mix xx
  7. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    There's photos of most of them scattered about the forum,a right mix is right!I'd love to have a photo of all of them together but I'd need a wide angle lens![​IMG][/IMG]This has been posted before but it's the one with the most dogs in it.Still not all of them tho..[​IMG][/IMG]
  8. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    This is the resident blue lady,just as well she has a wonky ear,the new lady has identical markings so telling them apart would be tricky![​IMG][/IMG]
  9. rune

rune

She is lovely! The others look an interesting bunch!

rune
  10. Rolosmum

Rolosmum New Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Blimey, what a bunch, well done for taking on another.

The worry from two is enough for me!
  11. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Bunch is right,pack of right banana brains.
    This is the advantage of retirement.Have the time for them, the space and the facilities.Not that there's a bed on earth big enough or enough sofas!The more seats you buy the more the dogs spread out and you STILL end up on the floor!:lol:
    I didn't want another,there's still 3 lurchers here waiting for homes, but hounds are so easy to assimilate into the household I hardly notice that the population has gone up by 4 in the last few months (I ended up keeping the lovely Pooh remember)except when I'm buying the dog food!
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
  12. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    God fair play to you. They all look so happy xx
  13. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Funnily enough it's not hard work.The biggest demand on my time is exercising them but as I have my own dog fenced paddock that's not difficult,just a matter of opening the gate.Poop scooping is the next biggie and has to be done about 6 times a day otherwise there's footprints in it - not good when those feet are on the sofa next!I freefeed,there's big food buckets everywhere and I just keep them full so that's no trouble.The labradors have to go out to the kennels every now and then for a weight loss session but they're not as bad as I thought they'd be,I thought they'd turn into barrage balloons on a free feed regime:grin: , I think they run off a lot of it.What I find remarkable about my dogs is the absence of squabbles in the pack.Strange dogs are readily accepted on their territory without a grumble,they're amazing.
  14. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    She's lovely, how many dogs do you have now then (sorry if I've missed the answer).
  15. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    15 of my own,3 rescues that are my responsibility,1 foster and 6 visitors.25 total.6 are out in the kennels so there are 19 in the house.Oh my god,I hadn't actually counted them up lately.
  16. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Wow, thats a fair few, now where do you get to sit? :lol:.
  17. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Sit?When do I have time to sit?Too busy cleaning up cat poo:lol:
    I have a sore back today too,the extras on the bed made for an uncomfortable night.
  18. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Just having my two on the bed is enough :lol: :lol:.
  19. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    I musta missed that you kept Pooh! I'm very glad :p

Sounds like your pack is very happy, and have a wonderful life!

I have 5 and feel overwhelmed at times! though the worst moments are when all 5 are trying to get comfortable on the double bed :)
  20. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    I think they're happy,the absence of squabbles is a good indicator,as is their general rude health.I certainly get a whipping from all the lashing tails!
    Ah hah - at last an argument for docking:lol:

I've never wanted to exceed 12.That's been the maximum number from the beginning and more often than not there were 'only' 6 or 8.
    Pooh made 13 and that was the only reason I hesitated about keeping him.It was a boundary I was afraid to cross.I didn't know why - but I think I do now!lol
    When the 2 rotts arrived they were SUPPOSED to be fosters but it was immediately obvious that they'd be difficult,in the case of the 10 year old DA bitch,and impossible for Romeo the PEOPLE aggressive dog to home.Without a word spoken between myself and the rescue it was understood/assumed that I'd keep them.(think she was taking the mick tbh)
    I just hope the 3 lurcher/longdogs find homes or it'll be 18 and I actually think that's too many.Temporary visitors are one thing,if there's room they're welcome - up to a point and that point has rather abruptly been reached!- but my OWN dogs are different.The new grey,her name is Crystal btw,makes 16.
    It evens the numbers so ok.I've an oldie that i don't expect to be around for too much longer and I don't expect the old rottie to last more than another year or two so that'll bring sanity a step closer.Not that I'm looking forward to their demise!They're lovely dogs but that's the reality of it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2011
  21. spot

spot New Member

Want one!!! :049: :049: