Malinois & German Shepherd Dogs (Mals & GSDs) Discussions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Alphatest, Mar 9, 2011.

1. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Not all GSDs are longcoats in fact most have a short(correct)coat.

They are two totally different breeds, a well bred working line GSD is a very biddable/trainable dog, 150 % temperament. Not all GSDs are oversized either a dog should be around 26" at the shoulder, bitches a bit less.

Mals are either show or working bred & TBH I wouldn't have a show bred one as all the ones I have met have not had the best of temperaments(saw one back off & then lunge at a judge & this dog has done a lot of winning) I much prefer the working line Mals, but they do not make good "pet"dogs
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. *Lorraine*

*Lorraine* New Member

Name:
    Lorraine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My little girl is a mix of both her Dad was a working imported Mal & Mum a Czech lines GSD.
    She is so intelligent & picks things up as soon as you show her what you want. Extremely driven (ball drive) with boundless energy, but gets frustrated & wants to do everything at full tilt.
  4. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks for the replies all. Lovely pics MM and Lorraine! (Was that a planned mating Lorraine? Any ideas what the males turned out like?)

Moobli & Joedee - have you got any links/pics to smaller/shorter coated GSDs? I'd love to have a look :)
  5. *Lorraine*

*Lorraine* New Member

Name:
    Lorraine
    No not a planned mating....6 girls, all ended up in rescue :roll: . All went to active homes. Mine was the last to go & has be "interesting" to say the least.

of my friends Dogs (full working line Mals) the only difference between the sexes is size....the males are slightly bigger & thicker set.

For an example of how they work, we were doing searches at club. My male GSD went round the tyre piles (4ft stack) & indicated he had found something, by trying to knock it over & then laying next to it.
    Trixie searched & when she found the right stack jumped straight down the middle, retrieved the article & jumped out again :shock: .
  6. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Here are a couple of photos of three working police dogs - all from the same working line breeder. Both sexes were smaller in stature than my mixed line rescue GSD bitch at the time, and would definitely be smaller than the two hairies I have now ;-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is a pic of my big hairy Yogi compared to two working line sheps I used to regularly walk with ;-)

[​IMG]
  7. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    I would love a Mal, I was talking to a GSD breeder in America a few years ago now about why I'd love a Mal and about their temperment and everything, its another breed that I would love, and at one point was offered a 3/4 Mal 1/4 Greyhound, but decided agaisnt it, as right now it wouldn't be fair, I don't think that I'm experienced enough, but they are a future dog for me, well hopefully, I do have a few lol.
  8. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ...czech line Gsd's are by far my fav :) (maybe im bias lol)

Lorraine..your dog is stunning :)

as said before i really like the crosses :blush:
  9. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ohh they are really lovely, Im not usualy a fan of the smooth coat but they are lovely looking
  10. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks for the info guys!

Moobli - love that last pic, doesn't Yogi look big (Like a big teddy :)) compared to the ones on the left? Are you still in contact with the owners? I wonder if you have anymore pics of the dog on the left in that pic? (Or maybe nudge the owners to join and post some :)).
  11. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Yes I do know of Peter Branch, but the most successful breeder of Working Line BSD Malinois in the UK, is John Rumble (Jotunheim) who also breeds the odd litter of working line GSD (I have one)!.

Dutch Shepherds - there are some in the UK, Ian Walshaw has stopped breeding them, and a friend of mine competes with his in Working Trials.

THe best place to see both these breeds works is in Holland in the KNPV competitions, or Belgium in the various ring sports.
  12. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    The owner of the two workline was a member of the forum a couple of years ago (if you search under username Skilaki you will see lots of gorgeous photos of her lovely boy :) Unfortunately I don't think she would be willing to rejoin :-(
  13. 5dog

5dog New Member

Name:
    alan
    i havnt been on for ages, would just like to put my two pence in. I have worked a Mal now for almost 9 years he is about approaching retirement, I have also brought on quiet a few other Mals and I have to say I think they are awesome and so much fun to train and work. I would not change my Mal for anything.
    Yes they can be very excitable and some very hard to control properly, on the other hand my own dog is very high drive, at work he is awesome and yet when he is at home he is very much part of the family especially with the children.
    Wary of strangers, they can be nervous, and will bite first ask questions later if they are threatened, theey need a strong and confident owner, and I would say that if you want one purely as a pet, then tink of another breed, but if you have the time and effort and want to do trials or work one then prepare for a lot of fun!!!
  14. 5dog

5dog New Member

Name:
    alan
    Here is a couple of photos, hope they come out.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  15. *Lorraine*

*Lorraine* New Member

Name:
    Lorraine
    Gorgeous :grin:

My girl "reads" me, more than my GSD's
    If I'm relaxed she is....but I simply can't let her be around nervous or excitable people, unless under close control.
    She's a joy & there's never a dull moment.
  16. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ive always adored mals,will have one one day :-(

but csv's are similar believe it or not. :)
  17. MichaelM

MichaelM

Name:
    Michael
    The darker dog on the left,

[​IMG]

and the third dog,

[​IMG]

Have the look of Locky about them (to me at least), who we believe to be a GSD/Husky x.

[​IMG]

We had a police dog handler around the other day who reckoned Locky didn't look like a x, but looked like a dog from the old "Moncrieff" lines/Moncrieff kennels (possibly "Rintilloch" or "Rintilloch Legacy" kennels ?).

Do you know anything about them? (or about the Moncrieff kennels?)
  18. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Sorry Michael, I don't know anything about the kennels you mention, but sure Wildmoor probably will, if she reads this thread :grin:

All the dogs in the photos I posted were bred by Stuart Nye of Vom Haus Nye kennels.
  19. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks Moobli! I had a look, stunning dogs :)

Was her boy bred by Vom Haus Nye kennels too? If not do you know who the breeder was or which lines they used?

Thanks for the post and photos Ndog!
  20. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
  21. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    5dog - fabulous looking Malis. They have such presence!