Malinois & German Shepherd Dogs (Mals & GSDs) Discussions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Alphatest, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

I have seen a few at agility and they are lovely
    Everyone always says kinda like more towards a collie temprament - not for the inexperienced but if you know what you are getting and happy to give them some kind of a job then they should totaly have an off switch
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Which videos of Boomer boy, Helena? Post them I have to see! :mrgreen:

I really do need to try and see one in person - sometimes you can't tell until you see them in the flesh. Luckily I fell in love with Presa's when I saw Rocky's dad - a magnificent creature :)

I'm still not sure a Mal is for me after what many people seem to be saying about them : /

ps I am editing some pics of that vid so we can see stills of the dog in it ;)
  4. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Collie's are very intelligent - so that's a good point :)
  5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    As far as anyone's been able to tell, it was - but from working lines (hence the huuuge ears!).
  6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Yes, one of my dogs is Bcollie x Belgian and the other is pure Malinois. Guess which one is the more difficult, harder-to-manage dog!
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2011
  7. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    I'm on the case, but there's a heck of a lot of them, I spent all of one Sunday afternoon watching this guy!!!:grin:
  8. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    merlinsmum knows how much i adore mali's ;-)

but ive met some real gorgeous gsd x mali's
    .. there was one on last weeks 'send in the dogs' too.. Fellon,did anyone see her?
  9. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    Oh Azz, you're soooo gonna regret this, but here ya go, get read for a tiring night lol!

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=139080

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=138827

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=138787

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=138826

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=138832

You can do the rest coz there's looooooads of them!!! He's a fantastic dog and right up your street!!!:mrgreen: You can't have him of course, just like I can't, you will have to get your own Boomerboy!:mrgreen:
  10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Very true. You may be severely underwhelmed! :lol:

They are really nothing much to look at, they look (to the uneducated) like a GSD cross.

The dark ones like Boomer (I like them and think of them as 'burnt toast' coloured) are not too easy to come by unless you look at working lines. The show lines are much paler and in any case, all Malis are light as puppies (although born very dark).

I've had exactly the same questions about Rue as I get with Merlin:
    "Alsatian crossed with...... what?"
    and also
    "How old is he/she?"
    (people think even Rue with her greying is a young German Shepherd! :lol: ).

Smokeybear do you know/of Peter Branch?
  11. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    Oh please put some piccies up of yours MM, pleeeeeeease!:mrgreen:
  12. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
  13. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Yeah put some pics up MM!

Duh! I've seen Boomer! Just didn't make the connection - sorry! He's a stunner isn't he :)

Edit: Posted at the same time!
    Just had a look! Their faces look a lot pointier than the dog I posted in the first page (like a rough collie) - does it vary or is that what you'd expect in the lines in the UK?
  14. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    I think it's the Groans that have those pointy faces, and as you say, unlike the dog you posted up in the first pic, he's fab, I'm loving the black faces like Boomers.
  15. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Have a look at the photos in the last link MM posted - the faces do look a lot pointer :-/ ?
  16. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Its well'ard of eastenders...:p
  17. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
  18. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Wellard was a Belgian Shepherd (Tervueren) played over time by three different dogs - one of which was Minka who was also an agility champion.

Yes they do have pointy faces! :) Stickybeak, nosey and totally non-drool.

I was trying to get some links up to pics of Merlin & Rue but my mother's computer threw a wobbly (should be in a museum) but 2nd attempt:

Merlin Up The Mump
    http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=134927

On Top of the World (Rue)
    http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=142653

Bonus pics:
    Merlin, taken yesterday
    [​IMG]

Rue, taken on Sunday
    [​IMG]

Edit: re Wellard - I was walking through a town centre with Merlin the day after Wellard "died" on Eastenders and a chap passing looked at him, pointed and suddenly exclaimed: "Look! Wellard Lives!" :lol: :lol:
  19. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    They are full on:mrgreen:
  20. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    The fella who owned wellard in the show was in my local halfords as he was leaving someone shouted at the top of their voice..''oi mate wheres wellard''
  21. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I have owned GSDs for the past 15 years and love 'em. I have only ever personally known two Belgian Malinois and they were working police dogs - and that is going back a few years now. They were great dogs, but definitely not for the faint-hearted, lazy or inexperienced owner. They were full on, high drive working dogs. Not really suited to a pet home imo. If you want to work your dog (ie police or security) or even compete in working trials or schutzhund then the working Mal could be the dog for you. However, if you just want a pet dog to be a companion and do bits of training/go for long walks then I wouldn't personally have a Mali. They also have the nickname "Maligator" - for good reason!

As I said in your other thread Azz, some of the working line shepherds are much smaller and more compact in size than their show bred counterparts (and less hairy too) - so shouldn't be ruled out. Again though, I would advise caution in taking on a working line bred GSD unless you intend to do some sort of work or sport with it.