Collar or Harness for French Bulldog Questions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by tobyjules, Feb 28, 2011.

1. tobyjules

tobyjules New Member

Name:
    tracy

Collar or Harness for French Bulldog

Hi this may seem like a daft question, but could you tell me what is it best to use when walking a French Bulldog, I know that Pugs should be walked on a harness due to there breathing issues, is this the same for these little darlings?
    Many thanks:grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. krlyr

krlyr

Name:
    Karly
    Don't have the breed but I even walk my bigger dogs on harnesses. A properly fitted harness is a lot comfier IMO than a collar and distributes any pressure a lot more easily!
  4. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    my 11yr old is fine on a collar :grin: and always has been:grin:
  5. 3dognight

3dognight

Name:
    phil
    hello there ...not so sure of your breed.but i do use both,iv got 4 dogs and two need the harness, well its for me also.it lowers there center of gravity and makes pulling easyer on me ..imo....and more comfeee, i think,collars, i feel give me more controll...oh!! love the frenchys!
  6. Tinglesnark

Tinglesnark New Member

Name:
    kristen
    cant advise, sorry! i cant decide which to use myself! x
  7. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
  8. tobyjules

tobyjules New Member

Name:
    tracy
    thank you all very much, have checked out the snuggle pets link too, thanks again, i think a harness, they are not known for pulling but i think it is more pleasing to the eye...:grin:
  9. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    Hi there - I have a Frenchie too (aren't they fab?):002:

I did buy a harness for her, but I stopped using it as it actually encouraged her to lean into the harness to pull, kind of defeating the object!:roll:

I use a half-check collar and she walks very nicely on this and it certainly doesn't have any effect on her breathing.
  10. tobyjules

tobyjules New Member

Name:
    tracy
    hi thank you for that advice, can you tell me what size check collar that would be? thank you8)
  11. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    I just took her to the pet-shop and got one that fitted her best. The one I have has an adjustable buckle so you can alter the fit.

I would recommend you take your dog with you so you can get the right size without being too tight.:grin:

As you can see from this pic, I have Lola's fitted loosely, it doesn't have to be tight to give the right correction (ie: you don't want it choking!)

[​IMG]
  12. kathy

kathy New Member

Name:
    Kathleen
    I always used to use a half check collar to walk my dogs till a friend's dog was frightened by something when out for a walk and wriggled out of it and was killed on the road. Maybe just a freak accident but I don't take chances now and save the half check for show ring only
  13. tobyjules

tobyjules New Member

Name:
    tracy
    Hi thank you, oH she is a darling, that colour collar looks lovely on her too. :)
  14. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    I've used half-check collars on different breeds for years and none of mine have wriggled out of them - perhaps the fit was too loose?

Harnesses work better for some dogs/owners - each to their own. I found Lola leaned into hers to pull, which I guess is the bulldog in her - however I did try a harness years ago on my GSD and he did the same.

Perhaps if you go to a nice pet shop they will allow you to try out different harnesses or collars and see what is best for you?:002:
  15. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Did you try the training harnesses first? This is what we do & the dogs learn very quickly that if they pull or lean they are pulling themselves & then its very easy to transfer to a ordinary harness. However its whatever you find better yourself. Love Frenchies - wish list.! :)
  16. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    oh i so love lola!! and i really really want a frenchie... although im going for a bigger breed next i think :grin: