What is a "squareback" German Shepherd? Questions

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by TabithaJ, Jan 13, 2011.

1. MichaelM

MichaelM

Name:
    Michael
    I can't begin to imagine what he looks like - why not post a pic to clarify it for me ! :)

Interestingly (or maybe not), I take Bear to agility, and they commented on his lovely movement/ stance. I know you can't tell anything about the dogs hips from looking at him, but it's a perception that exists.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. gsdgirl:-)

gsdgirl:-) New Member

Name:
    KRISTIE
    Exactly, Flynn does agility too, he's fab at it, he's an angel, you can literally take him anywhere.
    He's only 14 months old so still a bit gangly
    It was so hard to get pics of him standing coz he just tries to sit to wait for the next command, i even got my daughter to put a treat on the sofa to see i could get one of his back straight:lol:

See!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one for luck, he's brilliant!

[​IMG]
    Sorry about the pics i just took them quickly off my phone!

TabithaJ good luck with your plans for a GSD in the future:mrgreen:
  4. MichaelM

MichaelM

Name:
    Michael
    Awww....... lovely.

I do like the shepherds - of all types.
  5. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    I find it difficult to tell wether they are staight back type or not. As they look completely different when they are stacked to when they are in a natural stance if that makes sense. I have no idea wether my gsd would be classed as a square back or not!:? :? :?
  6. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Not really

But this is a modern Alsatian-the name the breeder owner gives their dogs

[​IMG]
    As opposed to a GSD(who had perfect hips BTW)

[​IMG]
  7. MichaelM

MichaelM

Name:
    Michael
    There's something not quite right about that first pic - it resembles a corgi!

I like the second pic, though it looks like something from a few years back - the slope isn't as exaggerated as the common pose of show dogs these days.
  8. border pop

border pop New Member

Name:
    BORDERPOP
    I was thinking something similar. Brought vallhund to my mind.
  9. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    Much prefer the look of the GSD in the 2nd pic
  10. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    2nd dog is a working bred German GSD
  11. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    As an observer and nothing more: I like the colouring of the dog in the first pic. Is the stance not simply for the camera? Albeit his legs look short for his body.
  12. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Ps thanks for the pics xx
  13. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    The first dog is a very poorly pigmented grey & his legs are too short for the length of body. It's the look the"Alsatianists"love !!

If you saw the dog they all aim to breed to you would be very shocked
  14. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    there is no such term as 'sqare backed' this is just words banded around by those that breed for the pet market and you will find none of those dogs advertised where you saw have a full 5 generations of good scores, you will be lucky to find 3 generations of scores, and not always good ones! and the inbreeding go back 4,5,6 gens and you will see more off the pedigree
  15. scout75

scout75

Name:
    scout
    Think 'square backed' is a made up thing..:shock: :lol:

There are big differences in the types of GSD though, think someone mentioned East German and American, both of which look totally different. I don't like the American lines at all but I love the DDR (East German lines).

The roach back is popular in West German showlines, my rescue has a bit of a roached back (don't know what lines he is from but definitely showline)

These are just natural stacks (as I know nothing about showing :p ) but I think you can see the difference?

[​IMG]

And this is Kofi who is a mix of West German working lines and DDR working lines. He doesn't have the same roach in the back. (He was 12 months old here but I don't have a more recent piccie in that position!)

[​IMG]
  16. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Thanks so much GSD Girl :)

I think your dog is *gorgeous*!
  17. mr.mugu

mr.mugu New Member

Name:
    Justin
    I think "square back" and "straight back" are terms people use to try to find dogs that don't have the exaggerated roached back of some dogs today. Its really hard to find a dog that looks like Rin Tin Tin anymore.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    My first GSD (got her in 1972) was typical of her time:
    I don`t have good photos though-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I`m not sure she was that different to the one I got 30 years later though. A little lighter boned maybe.
    [​IMG]

But remember the GSDs in the show ring don`t look that much like the average pet GSD now!
  19. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Here are my two, both longcoats (oh the shame :lol: ).

My bitch is from English obedience/WT lines - not the best photo, but it shows she has quite a level topline (and a shaggy coat as she had just been swimming :mrgreen: )

[​IMG]

My dog is from West German showlines and has more of a slope.

[​IMG]

Both together. There is not a huge difference, as I don't feel that either are exaggerated.

[​IMG]
  20. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Thanks so much to everyone for your answers, I understand it much better now.

CLAIRE&DAISY - that first pic of your first GSD is simply stunning. What a beauty.

MR MUGU - thanks so much for posting the pics of RIN TIN TIN, personally I love that 'straight' or 'square' back look :)
  21. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam

It would be impossible especialy when you consider a top size male weighed 26kg in the 1920s