NI's Why Not? Discussions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Katie Beardy, Dec 4, 2010.

1. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Dawn, that is an example. I don't even know if I have seen that exact site before. I cannot regret the decision we made. I do not know if a Mal or Husky would've been suitable for us. I adore my fur babies but my eyes are now open.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    ps I wonder how many other people bought their NID for the same sort of reasons. Perhaps I shoud start a new thread......
  4. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    hmm...i think i sorta asked that a few pages ago ;-)

btw...till a few years ago i had a cat :) every surgery i worked at had a cat...my dogs will chase cats 'in the street' but saw our own and the practise cat as part of the pack and would protect them....cant say the same for my ferrets tho :-(

i also know of a couple of packs of sibes(10 or more) that love to free run with their owners horses :)
  5. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    talking of inbreeding.. here are the COI of my two dogs.. the first being registered with the NIS and the second coming from NIS registered parents.. both with an awful lot of Mahlek behind them..

Freya is 21.32%

Noah is 14.22%

these scores were from one of the many pedigrees out there.. the others score worse.

This is from an excerpt from a site explaining all about it.

[​IMG]

It makes me feel sick.. thank God i had no intention of breeding. My dogs both show evidence of being inbred.. my bitch missing adult teeth and my dog being cryptorchid.. and both suffering from temperament problems amongst other things. Their sire passed away with cancer.. (RIP Dakota)
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2010
  6. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Deary dear Janie - The COI is quite high.. Thought these crosses were being bred, to stop all this in-breeding and health issues! :roll:
  7. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Its very sad that someone like yourself - had to go through all you did with out any support from a breeder - because of the cold heartedness of the person that brought the dog into the world - who lets face it so far from responsible that she probs wouldnt even know what the word meant if it hit her in the face.

when there are breeders like her - we really dont need to ask the questions why so many people dont support the breeding of this cross - and why so many people have jumped on the band wagon to breed them - after all doesnt she just set a great example! :roll:
  8. TLDAVE

TLDAVE New Member

Name:
    Tina
    as a relative newcomer to this forum i have little knowledge ot the inuit debates but i have had experience of jk and i totally agree with your comments pilgrim , i am very sorry to hear about your boy,
  9. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Please dont tell us she is "expanding?" Sorry to hear you have had problems.
  10. TLDAVE

TLDAVE New Member

Name:
    Tina
    Well thankfully I can't some how see her coping with Cattle dogs and my Mal x is exactly that, she didn't come with a fancy name or price tag she was given to me as a puppy so no connection there either, I have met some lovely Inuit dogs and owners , like all dogs (and owners!!) some better behaved than others. I was involved with fostering a dog that's how i got to have very unpleasant dealings with her ,enough said!
  11. bint

bint New Member

Name:
    Susan
    :-(
    I'm talking Ute's not NI's(though some seem to be so closely related there's little difference!) but no I don't regret it! We found the Ute researching the Alaskan Malamute. I was concerned re same sex aggression/dominance in the Mal and took advice from several dogsey members & breeders we visited. Yes both my boys have a decent prey drive, can be a bit deaf to recall and need loads of exercise but both do mix great with other dogs, love people, are not reserved around strangers or dominant at all. The Mal in our extended family is younger than my Ute's but is totally the boss and has been from day one.
    Around our area there don't seem to be a lot of this type of dog but we do have a lot of badly bred, unsociable Sibes:-(
    No I wouldn't have another Ute or other of this type. I've been relatively lucky so far but wouldn't like to tempt fate!
  12. boredinstroud

boredinstroud New Member

Name:
    Emily
    Absolutely, fairly shocking reading - out of interest what average COI would you expect from the cresties for comparison?
  13. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    It all depends on the breeder I guess, there are some that will breed closer than others - I personally dont like higher than 9:25%.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2010
  14. boredinstroud

boredinstroud New Member

Name:
    Emily
    Thanks DD - it would be interesting and informative to see average COI by breed (assuming this isn't already done?)
  15. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    I agree - It would be very interesting :grin:
  16. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    my csv 5 generation 6.38
  17. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Siren (Border Collie) is 6% over 11 gens.
  18. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Karma (chinese crested) is 0% - total out cross..
  19. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    How do you find the info out???
  20. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Many breed groups have a tool for working it out.

With Border collies there is a website that will do it for you with hundreds (probably thousands) of pedigrees on it.
  21. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    we have a pedigree promgramme that we use, after adding each dog into it - or we can use the breed data base.
    Its good stuff when planning a mating.