Caverpoo info please General Chat

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by mrsmuddle, Nov 8, 2010.

1. mrsmuddle

mrsmuddle New Member

Name:
    Annette

Caverpoo info please

i am interested in a caverpoo can you give me any information please?:mrgreen:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    its a cross breed between a cavalier and a poodle
  4. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    genuine question, but why are you interested in a 'caverpoo'? as with all crosses, you dont know what you will get with the pups.
  5. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    what info would you like?
  6. mrsmuddle

mrsmuddle New Member

Name:
    Annette
    i have a king charles which i adore but he is sadky going to pass on soon, and i would like a small dog so a caverpoo has thelovely looks of a poodle but the charm and size of a king charles if i gte the right one.

the sort type of information i wold like is about behaviour of them and characteristics.
  7. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    No one will be able to tell you that Im afraid, as its two different breeds they could take traits from both or just one parent, its pot luck. If you want a breed where you know the tempermant and characteristics, I would look into established breeds.
  8. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    sorry to hear about your kings charles.

a 'caverpoo' wont necessarily have the looks of a poodle and temperament of a king charles... it will be a complete mix... i personally would go for a breed that you know what you are getting, no one can predict what a cross pup will be like. i dont know what kind of responses you will get but, deliberate cross breeding isnt something that most members agree with.
  9. Delos

Delos New Member

Name:
    no
    I've never worked out what the fascination is with basically over priced mongrels. Never got it really they seem to be an excuse for dodgy breeders to try and make some money.

If you want a dog with breeding that you can make a good prediction of the temperament. Go for a proper pedigree breed from a good breeder who has done all the health checks and you can see the sire and dam.
  10. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    the thing that worries me a lot with such matings, is how ethical the breeder is...
  11. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    no ethical breeder would cross breed! :shock:
  12. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    i know, that was my point ;-) (excluding the ones for health reasons like the lua dalmation... i agree with that :lol:)
  13. mrsmuddle

mrsmuddle New Member

Name:
    Annette
    thank you for all your comments, i have taken them into thought and i agree that cross breads are pot luck, untill cross breads aree definate known what you get (doubt they ever will be) im going ot stick with normal breeds which are known, when lucky goes ;( i may gte another king charles spaniel it dsepends on the money with all this ressesion. also when some breeders stop being greedy will ber good.
  14. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay

A "cavapoo"will have nothing of a King Charles Spaniel in it's make up as Cavalier King Charles Spaniels & the King Charles Spaniel have been two separate breeds since the 1920s

Do you really have a King Charles Spaniel(smaller,very domed head & brachycephalic(excessively short muzzle))
    [​IMG]
    or a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel(larger, flatter skull & much longer muzzle)
    [​IMG]

If you don't know the difference perhaps you should do some research into the two breeds
  15. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    Her 'dogs owned' says she has a cavalier king charles spaniel.
  16. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Research both breeds, temperament /health and so on, and then throw them into a melting pot, and to take your pick.

As its a cross breed, you want know what , if, or any of the breed traits of either breed will come out in your pup.

So research both thoroughly and be prepared for any of the findings.
  17. swarthy

swarthy New Member

Name:
    Sue
    :shock: why do I get a feeling of deja vu - have you got ANY IDEA how much investment is made in breeding a litter responsibly?

In many breeds - responsible breeders seldom break even and often make heavy losses - if that's greedy - then your understanding of the word and mine are somewhat different :(
  18. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Yep, also says she plans to breed!!!:shock: :shock: :shock:
  19. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    lol and another anti cross thread.

Basically as others have said before there are no guarantees on looks, they cannot guarantee to be non shedding (if someone sells them as non shedding dont humor them they're lying you cant tell), their fur can be more difficult with grooming because of the poodle, their confirmation can take bits from both breeds so look a combination of both or can look entirely like one half of the cross. They can have the personality of a poodle or their cross or aspects of both you never know. Our cocker poodle cross pup is wired to the moon but we love her for it. There are cross breeders out there who health test and provide life long contracts take the time to look for them they are there if you ever chose to. Basically be prepared for possibly a high energy dog with bags of intelligence who may require large amounts of grooming and not look like a cav at all lol. Just depends what you find.

So yeh entirely unrealiable but thats what i love about crossbreeds. Although both of the crosses i personally own are poorly treated rescues.

And yes crossbreeds will never have a standard as they cannot conform to a standard. F2 crosses seem to match a recessive gene in breeding which produces a puppy which looks as per the original ped (apparantly). The furthest they have bred to as far as I can find is F3.

But the remainder of this thread is pointless since you have already said you arent interested in a cross now and are going for a ped :D
  20. swarthy

swarthy New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Ah yes - but only if the responsible 'pedigree breeders' stop being greedy :shock:

Can I suggest the poster goes to rescue if they want a cross or a pedigree and forget breeding

If you don't have the money to buy a responsibly bred pup, you will never be able to afford to breed - I lay out over £2K before I get sight of a pup and that doesn't including raising the litter and other associated costs - so as you can see - it would be considerably cheaper to buy in a well bred pup rather than producing my own.
  21. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Your right, entirely agree with this. So many lovely dogs in rescue, none of which deserve to be there.