American Staffordshire bull terriers .. again.. Discussions

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by Murf, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf

American Staffordshire bull terriers .. again..

Following on from a previous thread about seeing an American Staffordshire bull terrier in rescue .
    Today I seen 3 different adverts for Am staffs or Am staff crosses for sale .. :roll:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
  4. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Interesting what terms they recommend you avoid ....
    Add red nose to the equation and there is more than 3 adverts lol ...
  5. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    If they get taken off the site, they will probably have a hard time being homed so lets not get them removed.

If people are silly enough to go out and buy a dog that when grown (red nosed amstaff for example) will fit type then let them, more fool them!!! they could have had a well bred staff or standard AB.

And if someone is silly enough to buy one not knowing what it was because they never done their homework, more fool them again.
  6. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci

I'd personally like to see them removed from the site, is that so wrong? - What about the ones that won't end up in decent homes that will possibly get used in illegal
    activities ? Let's face it, even according to those rules outlined the site owner is breaking the law for allowing those adverts in the first place, I'd at least like to see them faced with a heavy fine at least, for allowing the adverts - pet classified sites in my opinion should be heavily moderated to stop this. These folks breeding the dogs know they are breaking the law, the folks allowing the adverts know they are doing so, so should face the penalty's of allowing this to happen - not all dogs deemed as type get put to sleep, fact.

What about the dam who will probably be bred over and over again, or the poor bitch puppies out of those litters that will probably get used for nothing more than being breeding machines to those that wish to use their dogs in illegal activities ?

For every one pup that may end up in a decent home, there's probably another 5/6 that won't, it's no existence for a dog at all, especially when they do get used as money spinners. What a fulfilling life that must be for a poor dog, knowing that every season, you have a tummy full of puppies just a few weeks later.:evil: :evil:
  7. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Am staffs aren't illegal, so people can advertise them all day long...It would be like trying to ban the sale of staffordshire bull terriers, they're not illegal but sometimes fit type.

Any dog of any breed is in danger of falling into the situation you describe.
  8. longford

longford New Member

Name:
    james
    Am staffs are banned as there the show version of the apbt and are no good for nothing unless you wanna win a dog show lol :lol:
    and dont tell me there are gooduns about they are so far removed from the gene pool of the working apbt just like the kc show dog and the irish working dogs
  9. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Technically they aren't illegal, but they fit type so can and will be seized.

The breed isn't one of the banned breeds, but they also are lol

Nope I was definately not gonna say there was goodens about lol far from it!!
  10. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    The Dangerous Dogs act states :-

Now come on, most folks know these dogs can be duel registered as both Am Staffs & Pit Bull Terriers. As the Am Staff is basically the show version of the Pit Bull, hence owning, breeding, selling even going as far as advertising them is illegal.
  11. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    But if you asked a policeman if an american staffordshire terrier was a banned breed he would say no!! but they would fit type, like some staffs and AB's do.

That's why people can advertise them wherever they like, because "technically" they're not illegal.

Are Irish staffords on the banned list, no...But they sure as hell fit type.

If I bred a litter of american bulldogs that fitted type, they would be illegal and I would get prosecuted for selling and owning a banned breed even though they're not a banned breed, but they may look like one.

Crazy old world we live in lol
  12. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Have you read the link I handed out...didn't think so. It says..

If it's not illegal to breed, sell & advertise American Staffords, why is this site operating with the full support of the RSPCA, Police, Veterinary Bodies & DEFRA?
  13. jordanio0207

jordanio0207 New Member

Name:
    Nicky
    You are right it is illegal to breed "Type" dogs and to sell or even give as a gift. I had to report who I got Rio off although the police officer who works for the dda said I will not be prosecuted for owning her, it is all very very confusing:roll:
  14. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Nicci I have read that numerous times, I know what it says!!

But it doesn't actually say Amstaffs are illegal does it, all I was saying. They are no more illegal than a leggy stafford which in turn could be illegal as they fit type, but as they aren't on the banned breeds list they can be advertised and sold to whoever and whenever.

The reason for this is because the section 1 legislation is absolute rubbish and full of loopholes that people are going to exploit. But like I said previously, the people who buy a type dog knowingly are as foolish as the ones that haven't done their research and don't.
  15. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    The legislation reads perfectly clear to me.

Most people up on the legislation, know that Am Staffs can be duel registered with the ADBA and the UKC. So, hence making them a banned breed.
  16. dave g

dave g New Member

Name:
    dave
    Am staffs are pitbulls there are the same dog, as for using amstaffs for dog fighting i dont think so, as here soft as they come, they make great pets more friendly than english staffs..
  17. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Morons will fight anything they can get their hands on, they happen to think is illegal.

18. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    So because that quote says they were fought that must mean they were ?? Don't believe everything you read!!!

I'm not saying they weren't but they are selctively bred to have a non dog aggressive attitude. Now if you was going to get a fighting dog in a country where real gamebred pitbulls can be bought for little to no money then why fight a show dog when you can have the real thing ? Makes no sense to me.
  19. longford

longford New Member

Name:
    james
    American staffords were never bred in england it was the pitbull & terrrier that was bred bigger and infused with other breeds

how can you fight a dog that dont want to fight lets make it clear feeding a dog cats and beating it does not make it a gamebred dog???as they would jump the wall or not scratch.

Also it was the bulldog that was used for bear/ bull baiting the pitbull & terrier (england) that was bred for dog fighting and it was the apbt terrier that is not a new breed but a type that was used in the us I think it was in the 70s that they banned it not the 1900s in the us maybe true for some states.
  20. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Every piece of history refers to the Am Staff being used in dog fights, take a look.

Infact Am Staffs we're siezed not so long ago from a dog fighting ring in Perry Barr, B'ham.
  21. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    But the Am Staff is a Pit Bull, they are dual registered..:roll: