Border Collie Breeders General Chat

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by BrendaMarie, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I would agree with this. When I first got into collies I was sure I wanted a "traditional" looking, coated, black/white dog. However, I ended up with a long-legged, rangy tri-colour. I chose him as he was from a trialler/farmer I respected and I wanted to train my dog on sheep, so looks came second to the hoped for working ability. My second collie came to me as his shepherd owner had died suddenly and he needed a new home. He is the traditional, black/white dog I had originally dreamed of :grin: However, I didn't choose him for his looks but simply because he needed a good home and was part trained on sheep, so could hopefully progress my sheepdogging hobby.
    Since being married to a shepherd my views on collies has changed quite dramatically. I now see the need for a strong, fit and capable working dog regardless of its looks, colour, sex etc etc. The best dogs we have here on the farm at the moment are the ones I would have always overlooked initially - they are all bare-skinned, prick-eared types. So, I think when choosing a collie it all depends what you are wanting from it. We just need good working dogs who are healthy and with a good temperament. Looks, coat, colour etc doesn't come into it. However, sport or pet people maybe more attracted to the "flashier" more unusual colours. Nothing wrong with that, so long as these dogs are bred with health, temperament etc in mind.
    I used to think all collies should have the working ability of a true working sheepdog, however as plenty go into pet homes there must also be a place for "diluted" drive dogs who can live sanely in a pet or a sport type home.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Yes I do know what you mean
    I have no problem with people having a preference for one colour or another - of course we all have that
    Not that long ago I was getting slated for rescuing Mia because she was considered 'pretty' and not going for a uglier dog
    We all have preferences
    Yes I have always wanted a blue merle with one blue and one brown eye
    but, currently there is an explosion in dogs of that colour being produced
    and as this is a less common colour it is clear that they are being bred for delibreatly - and this means seveirly restricting the choice of dogs you can breed from based only on colour
    In a less common colour this makes it far less likely that the dog of the right colour will also have all the atributes that complimnet the bitch

Of course we all have a preference, of course once you have found the best breeder in the world and you see a litter of pups your heart and eye will be drawn to one more than the others

It is a shame tho, merles used to be so striking because they were unusal - now they are a 'fashion' for many people and they are 10 a penny
  4. BrendaMarie

BrendaMarie New Member

Name:
    Brenda
    You know, that's why I originally wanted a merle, because they're unique looking. I honestly didn't know that there was such a diverse color scheme in the Border Collie until recently.

And they are probably getting to be common, but that's due to the puppy mills and such, a good breeder will be breeding that color because they have a good healthy dog that can contribute that just happens to be that color.

And also from what I've seen, here in the US there is only 14 (maybe more but those would be the ones without a website that I didn't check into) breeders (that are listed and registered with the BCSA) in 50 states. All the other ones breed the trad B/W dogs. There are 74 Breeders that I checked out and only 14 of those had Merle dogs (about 19%)... So I'm inclined to think that they are still quite in the minority. At least the good ones are, like I said who knows with the puppy mills and what not, but I don't count those. As far as I'm concerned ALL dogs coming from puppy mills are poor mutts, not pure bred because really how can you prove that they aren't mixed?
  5. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    But if there are MORE then theres more "Quality!" to choose from!:002:
  6. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    when were merles unusual?.... only place u wouldnt see one was in the show ring...then the reds took over lol ;-)

... mish,im biast i know...but i bet the bi-eyed boy is gorgeous ;-)
  7. Adam P

Adam P

The second breeder sounds good tbh.

Have you considered contacting a specilist collie rescue, seems you could get a nice high drive dog and give a rescue a home.

Btw I worked with a collie x husky recently. Thought it might interest you.

Adam
  8. BrendaMarie

BrendaMarie New Member

Name:
    Brenda
    Yes I've considered rescues, but this will be my third dog and I actually wanted to buy a pup this time lol... I'm quite tired of getting dogs that are already part to almost full grown, I want the adventure of a puppy this time. Most of the rescues around here don't have many puppies and the ones they do have aren't what I'm looking for. Plus I don't think that they would give support like a breeder does. I know that some do but I like a good breeder :) Storm came second hand from a breeder (we found her in an ad online and went to pick her up and then contacted the breeder to inform them what happened, they came out to do a home check and deemed us a really good quality home for Storm :) She get's bombarded with pictures all the time :) and we like the fact that the breeder is there for us for any kind of support and that she now knows us personally.
  9. chizzy

chizzy New Member

Name:
    chizzy
  10. Lotsadogs

Lotsadogs New Member

Name:
    Denise
    I totally recommend the breeder below. My youngest dog, picture on my posts, was bred by his daughter and the guy who's website this is, is also my current sheepdog trainer.

http://www.workingsheepdog.co.uk/

I have seen him and all his dogs on a regular basis and can attest to their temperaments, his training and welfare standards and I think the massively extensive "Before you buy" checklist" will attest to his conviction to ensure his puppies go to loving, lasting homes that provide the best outlerts for a collies energy.

I know he has just had some puppies born and I also know that my boys mum is just about to, or has just had, a litter (though not by the same dad). I am sorely tempted.

If you don't meet his high demand ownership specifications he wont let you have a pup. And personally I think that is great. Border collies do not often make easy pets!

Be aware that the incidence of HD in iSDS registered dogs is much lower than in KC registered dogs, but it is still worth getting an eye test! In my view and experience ISDS dogs, though they have a higher likelihood of herding and stalking behaviour, are usually easier dogs to live with - they have an "OFF" switch, that many KC dogs appear not to have.

I know he has just had some puppies born and I also know that my boys mum is just about to, or has just had, a litter (though not by the same dad). I am sorely tempted.

Whatever you decide, I do hope that you have a lot of fun and excercise with your border collie. They are the best dogs in the world in my view, when given a suitable outlet for their energy. My collies do Sheepwork, agility, obedience and clicker training trick stuff and demos. And they are STILL wanting more, so we are taking up tracking!

Enjoy your dog.
  11. Lotsadogs

Lotsadogs New Member

Name:
    Denise
    Hello my friend.

Are you slagging off my boy?

http://www.youtube.com/user/deniseofcadelac1#p/a/f/1/Rbo1O3pPDtk

This is my beloved pet boy Connor, red merle, on his third weekend of training back in spring. He has since done a demo in June, he gathered all the flocks for shearing and is heading for the nursery trials in November.

I have to get a new video of him posted.

He has turned into a very strong dog, indeed, nothing stands in his way, and his stop has become less reliable now his confidence for flock work has grown - he knows it all he thinks! Thomas is stall adamant he is a brilliant dog and is trying hard, together with Andy Nickless, to turn me into a an equally brilliant handler:lol: . So far they have not quite succeeded:mrgreen: But I still intend on having him ready for Novemeber.

Connor also does agility, obedience (he came 2nd and 3ed in his forst 2 obedience competitions a few months back), he does clicker training demo's and he also keeps my bed warm

Breeding for any "trait" heavily, uncluding colour, is in general, a very bad thing for the breed in my view. However, Connor and others in his line where bred for his working ability - NOT HIS COLOUR. Both his parents where working hill dogs. His litter brother too is trialling. Good merles are out there, they just need looking for.

Connors mother has just had a litter, the father is a black and white dog (Connors was red), who has produced some excellent working pups. I know not what colours they have thrown, but I would totally recommend both the mother and fathers temperament and workingwise.
  12. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Of course I am not slagging off your boy, Denise. I wouldn't dream of it. I have never seen your lad and unfortunately I can't watch the video either (no broadband out here :-(). However, as I said, I am sure there are some great working merles but I haven't been lucky enough to get to see one yet (in the flesh at least).

Hopefully you will do well in November and our paths may cross at some of the nurseries :)
  13. Lotsadogs

Lotsadogs New Member

Name:
    Denise
    I was only joking mate you realise that I assume? :grin:

yes nurseries here we come! How far down do you get with your trials? Im in the midlands. Im planning on a attending a cradle thingy somewhere in the lake district once the date is finally announced. T told me about it.
  14. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I knew you were kidding :-D

I could be tempted to run at one of the trials that Thomas puts on for a bit of fun, but if hubby is going to seriously trial at the nurseries this back end, then we probably won't get out of Scotland. Are you going to be at the English National this week?
  15. Border Collies

Border Collies New Member

Name:
    Ulla
    I thought there weren't that many merle working dogs as "old fashioned" farmers don't like the colour, same with red and white dogs.
    Funny though that a red and white dog won the Nationals this year ;)
    I saw Breac working and find him a lovely and very reliable working dog with lots of class and style. :)
  16. Lotsadogs

Lotsadogs New Member

Name:
    Denise
    My boy Connor, the red merle, did his first trial yesterday.

We entered new handlers and came 3rd out of 8 and I am chuffed to bits.

The sheep where fast and wild and everyone struggled with them, but he did a long outrun, he didn't lose his temper and he managed to finally get them under control. I managed to not be sick or pass out at the post so Im pretty chuffed wwith that too!

Am sooooo pleased with him. :grin:
  17. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Well done - thats fab...I am struggling to imagine Siren ever making a trial....but we may get there...in a few years time!
  18. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    An old post I know, but I must have missed it first time around. Personally, I would only sell a working bred puppy to a good working home and would only consider any other type of home (pet/agility/flyball etc) if it was a person I knew very well, who already had BCs and understood them.
  19. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Very interesting viewpoint. Which lines do your own dogs go back to?
  20. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    the collie i lost last year was 'dual registered' show and work lines,funny enough his sister did agility too,but did not have the same 'pocket rocket' attitude as my boy...i think alot is how you are and how you train.
  21. tiggers mum

tiggers mum New Member

Name:
    mel
    Needless to say I'm not one for breeding for looks.... for me it's all character and fitting into family circumstances

Think I'm with cintvelt. Hate the idea of breeding for colour. Character has got to be first and foremost surely?!