Northern Inuit Dog and Utonagan - Owners Thread Discussions

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by Kalasin, Jun 2, 2010.

1. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Thunder is in the post, lol!! Xxxxx No, seriously, I am afraid you will have to get your own:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    haha you dont know how tempting that sounds :mrgreen: im guessing you dont "run" NIs like you do sibes n mals?

how many colour variations are there of the NI? can you get black NIs?
  4. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I think there is an independent breeder who may do some 'running' with her dogs. I think the KC Rec will limit what you can do but also, the dogs do vary, so some may be suited and others not.

All sorts of colours, from the Standard:
    'Colour: Pure White or any shade of Grey and Sable through to pure Black. White faces and dark masks are permitted but any color change should be subtle.
    Faults: Curly tails, long soft silk coats, patchy/pinto or Black and Tan colours.
  5. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe

thanks for that :grin: also i understand you can show an NI? how does that work then if theyre not KC reg'd?
  6. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I have never seen an all black or mainly black NI like you get with the Utes but black and white is allowed.

I show mine at fun shows and the NIS shows also been to a couple of TIDA shows as well.
  7. Kalasin

Kalasin New Member

Name:
    Kalasin
    It's just society shows and fun days really. Or you can compete in KC companion club dog shows if you want to register as a crossbreed. I love taking Kiba in the ring and to the shows because they all have a fantastic run around and come home completely knackered.

As for 'running' can I assume you mean with a rig or scooter? I plan on teaching my boys to pull a scooter once I have number two and both are hip scored (Kiba is being done in January) so that I know it wont be sacrificial to their health. Should be lots of fun and a good way to expel energy.

Sutty on here also runs her dogs :grin:
  8. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Taz was mainly black and there is another one on their (Olderhill) website who is mainly black but I don't know if that dog is a NID x. Other than those two, I haven't seen a mainly black NID either.
  9. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I took running to mean as in 'sport', of course on a private level anyone can have a go xxxx

That is very responsible, well done and good luck xxxxx
  10. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    ps was meant to highlight the hip score thing ref the responsiblity bit xxxx
  11. bint

bint New Member

Name:
    Susan
    I run ours on a scooter. Both my OH & I also run with them in harness which the love!
  12. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I think I have mentioned my taking my hat off ref bravery to you before:mrgreen: :mrgreen: xxxxxxxxxxx
  13. Kalasin

Kalasin New Member

Name:
    Kalasin
    Thank you...think I will have to work a bit more on directions first though! Half the time I still can't get him to recall reliably! Damn deaf dog! Still, think it's a good idea to have them scored first, wouldn't want me or the poor dog to have to deal with the consequences if we found out there was something wrong and running them like that made it worse. Don't think I could forgive myself. :? I know not everyone does it, but I think for piece of mind it's worth it for me and my boys :grin:
  14. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private

I think it is great to make sure first xxxxx Don't worry about recall being less than 100%, that is normal for these dogs xxxx Shouldn't matter too much once kitted up and in work mode I should imagine, as long as you can make them stop!! Xxxxx
  15. bint

bint New Member

Name:
    Susan
    Lol, possibly more stupid than brave:lol:
  16. bint

bint New Member

Name:
    Susan
    I only had one Ute when I got the scooter so two wasn't an option but I think it helped to have a dog that was used to it and followed direction (mostly:shock: :lol: ) before introducing another green dog:grin:
    Even with one dog I still sometimes ride with the brake applied to slow him down a bit. With two the brake is used a lot for the first 15-20 mins. With mine the difference from one to two dogs is massive:grin:
  17. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    I have 9 NI, all have differing personalities but none are aggressive, all 9 play out together, including 3 entire males, the most dominant one is freya at 7 years old but she doesnt lay down the law, they all seem to know it lol. I run 2 of them, Inca and Tukki and am hoping to get Nanook in harness soon and have a 3 dog team. All bar 2 I trust with my chickens and all are good with kids, I havent had to visit a vet for anything but a wasp sting and a case of pyo in 3 years, all are in very rude health. Moon can be a bit shy when he first meets new folk but soon comes out of his shell, Yummy and Nanook are cuddle monsters and all are very loving affectionate dogs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    yes they do moult heavily twice a year but shed stray hairs all year round, some do have high prey drive and there are always going to be dogs in any breed that are dominant, mine dont fight, but will defend themselves should they be set upon, Moon and Nanook try to bluff it out by putting up their hackles and making themselves look tough but both are softies, and they dont have brakes lol, Im always getting kneecapped by oncoming NI's:lol:
  18. bint

bint New Member

Name:
    Susan
    Love the working photo's sutty:grin:
    Those chickens would be fair game for my two, though neither are used to domestic birds.
  19. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    Thanks, its ironic, we cant get out to run this week as they cant get a grip on the compacted snow lol, must get them some boots. I wouldnt hold out much hope for my birds if more than 2 or 3 dogs were near them lol:grin:
  20. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Don't beat yourself up about the recall thing, it is normal. Some people use E/S collars. I am not suggesting you do, I am just saying, it is normal for these dogs to have recall issues.
  21. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    :lol: - Its mine :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: