Male Rotties easier than females? Behaviour

Discussion in 'Rottweiler' started by kirsty_, Apr 9, 2010.

1. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty

Male Rotties easier than females?

One of my customers at work was telling me that she finds male rotties to be alot easier then bitches. She has 2 bitches and 3 dogs and says the dogs are far easier. She says bitches are more stubbern too and so males are easier to train. Does anyone else find this who owns or have owned rotties?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I have to say the dogs seem easier to me,

though others in the breed find bitches better,

I think the bitches need to be asked nicely to do things the dogs are ok with being told lol

ETA: dont get me wrong bitches are just as good as boys, there just a bit different, I guess much the same as male and female in many species lol
  4. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    Do you think your girls are more independent than the boys? I always think that your boys are so eager to please you, but with Holly its more 'what's in it for me?' (and I've still not met Teagan).

I could be wrong, but I can imagine Holly not being overly concerned if she got a bit lost on a walk as long as there was something interesting to do whereas the boys would be 'I want my mummy'. :lol:
  5. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    A friend who has Rotties told me her bitches are easier. The bitches are much sweeter and her dogs are more challenging and a bit pushy with other male dogs.
  6. CuteRotts

CuteRotts New Member

Name:
    Em
    I have one of each, but have found that my girl is more stubborn but more intelligent .... i just put that down to being "a girl thing" :grin: :grin:
  7. whimsey

whimsey New Member

Name:
    whimsey
    In my opinion the girls are tougher than the lads when they are puppies. As grown ups it's the opposite. Either way they're sweet dogs & don't cause much problems..
  8. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    Our first Rottie was a bitch, we were advised to get a female first as they were less dominant than the males. Well, they hadn't met her!!:blush: :roll: :lol:

Brandy was a very dominant girl and definitely taught us a LOT about Rotts:grin: She was very independent and stubborn but we adored her to death. She was great at sulking if you told her off, wheras the boys were like Okay, I did wrong lets get on with it now:002:

Ozzy was more dominant than Marius, but neither boys were as challenging as she was. Maybe it's true what your customer says!!
  9. RedyreRotties

RedyreRotties New Member

Name:
    Red
    I prefer the girls, personally, and have always found them easier to train and live with than males.

:)
  10. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    so which do you think would be best for a first time rottie owner?? would it be bitches due to them being smaller and so easier to handle
  11. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    i fostered jess a female rottie for a bit and she was as soft as anything not dominant at all even with other dogs, she just wanted to play and was scared if they told her off. :roll:
    she was also very eager to please
  12. welshgit

welshgit New Member

Name:
    alan
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2010
  13. welshgit

welshgit New Member

Name:
    alan
    :lol: Got there in the end:lol: A bit of an emotional reunion here:-( , the female Rottie is our Stella, sadly no longer with us, she lived until she was nine years old and she was always the BOSS!!!

Gentle as a lamb in every way tho8)

run free Stella and thanks.............Dad
  14. RedyreRotties

RedyreRotties New Member

Name:
    Red
    I always try to steer first timers towards the girls. Besides, they have nothing in the way of belly rubs, and pee in one spot.

;)
  15. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    aww bless, she kept them all under control then
  16. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    haha yea very true :lol:
  17. rottiemom85

rottiemom85 New Member

Name:
    Stacey
    I definetly prefer males over females! Our female is stubborn and orornary. She bites my other males and wants to fight with them when the get around her when she's drinking water or near me she's very protective and my males and protective over me too...but my males don't mind the other dogs around their food. And they are far less violent and stubborn than she is.
  18. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    you have my lot well figured out ;-)your spot on.

Im glad im not alone in feeling the bitches are just a bit more, I do wonder if the US breeding is diff to the UK breeding?
  19. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    If you already had 2 bitches (not rotties) would u still recommend another bitch?x
  20. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    Personally I wouldn't. Even if your current bitches get along, adding a third would be perhaps one too many.

Maybe others would disagree and have had a few bitches together? But, my fear would be taking the fact that they are a dominant breed anyway and that when bitches fight they are worse than a male - I wouldn't want the risk of adding one more.
  21. rottiemom85

rottiemom85 New Member

Name:
    Stacey
    Shona..I wonder if there is too?? I have noticed in the rottweiler picture thread that the males are waaaayyyy bigger over in the UK than alot of our males here in the US but don't get me wrong, they are both gorgeous dogs in both countries!