Working line GSDs - Eastern European/Czech Rep Working Dogs

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Moobli, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty

Working line GSDs - Eastern European/Czech Rep

I have always admired the working line shepherds that I have met, seen working and had the pleasure of getting to know. As I am once again involved in GSD Rescue, I think the next dogs I get will be from rescue and not from pups - although I may allow myself the luxury of having one more well bred pup in my lifetime :grin:

Anyhow, to get to the point, I was told (on good authority) last night that quite a number of the working line sheps being brought over from Eastern Europe (DDR) and the Czech Republic (which are often held up as some of the best GSDs you can get at the mo) are not all they are cracked up to be (in health and temperament). He said that Melton Mowbray (the army dog training place) had ordered 200 (or was it 300!) of these shepherds and only 22 made the grade.

Does anyone on here have a working line shepherd from Eastern Europe/Czech Republic or have an interest in these dogs? If so, what are you findings?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2010
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. jesterjenn

jesterjenn New Member

Name:
    Jeni
    I think my friend's PD (he's fostering her until she is old enough to be trained fully) is from Czech lines. She is very high drive, don't know about health, but brilliant temprement.

Cas is the sable (third from left)
    [​IMG]

Now 2nd from left
    [​IMG]
  4. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Doesn`t Wildmoor have one?
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    No I think Wildmoor's are West German showline? Pam?
  6. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Gorgeous looking bitch. I would be interested to know whether she came from UK kennels or did they import her?
  7. jesterjenn

jesterjenn New Member

Name:
    Jeni
    She was bred by the Met, so I presume UK kennels.

I'll try find out more information about her breeding for you :)
  8. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks Jess.
  9. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    Yes you are correct, Claire probably confused by my other Breed which is a Czech Sheepdog on photos they can look like GSDs as you cant see their size.

The problem is with any imported dog if you cant trust the breeder and they are not 100% then they will rip you off as so many people have been over the years, irrelevant which country they are from.

Having said that though the Czech titles are harder to achieve as they are done in real life situations not on a sports field. I would rather have a dog with a ZVV2 than a SchH3
    Pam
  10. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    I wonder if they are a 'latest craze' in working/Police dogs? I met one during a police training program. The dog was very high drive and very intense. I would doubt that the newly recruited handler and this dog were going to make the grade as they seemed a bit mis-matched. Another GSD on the same course came from UK working lines and was a big softy by comparison (as well as completing tasks better). Other countries have different expectations of Police dogs which may explain the breeding of temperament.

After spending some time observing this dog I would almost suspect it had a touch of the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog in it.
  11. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    Prior to 1989 the GSDs in Czech were bred for one purpose and revolved around the Pohranicni Straze Kennel which belonged to the Czech Army. The breeding programme utilised their own dogs and the sires were all Border Patrol Dogs, there were some exceptions of occasional 'special' breedings in partnership with 3 private breeders this was one of them
    http://www.jinopo.cz/main.php

Prior to communism falling they were bred for 1 purpose only and that was to stop people crossing the border into the West hence the dogs all had high Defence drives. Obviously since 1989 the breeding focus in Czech has changed.
  12. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I am easily confused :lol:
  13. GUISEPPE

GUISEPPE New Member

Name:
    GUISEPPE
    Wildmoor I have to say your knowledge is a refreshing change
    Thanks for keeping me educated and it really is appreciated.
  14. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    OMG stunning gsd's!! :007: :007: :007:

sorry to sound dim.... so is the reason they have a drive and sometimes look of the csv,is because they were the strain of gsd's used??? :? :? :?
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks Pam. I think you are absolutely right - and no breeder in their right mind would export their best dogs.

Would you ever consider a working line shepherd over a WG show Pam, just out of interest :)

Thanks for the link - they have some lovely sheps.
  16. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    That is very interesting. Probably the most interesting thing I have seen writen on Dogsey in fact!

Bred for the same purpose as the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog and at the same place. :002:

Being somewhat familiar with the CWD; I would have guessed that the Police dog I met was at least part CWD...
  17. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    That's not strictly true, my friend who breeds VPG GSDs in Germany can only keep a low number of dogs & she has indeed parted with some absolutely lovely dogs. Her dogs ooze character & correct temperaments with good work drive & the added biddability also needed, for working dogs to be able to live in "normal"homes. However she doesn't have East Germany/Czech bloodlines
  18. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    i agree (re the interesting thing ) :lol: :lol:
    and it also means im not as confuzzed as i thought i was ;-) :mrgreen:
  19. k9xxb

k9xxb

Name:
    Linda
    Hi, my Monty is Czech/East German lines (think its east german).

He is an extremely high drive boy who is really coming into his own (15 months old). I would say quite honestly that these dogs have to work - although Monty can be quite settled when in the house.

I would certainly not advise a novice handler to get one but unfortunately new recruits in the police don't get the choice of dog.

I'm quite glad i put a lot into Monty as a pup otherwise i'd have had a major headache as oposed to the minor one we're having now.

They are extrmely confident and you have to be aware that they will challenge if they have no respect - but then - isn't that the same for most dogs?

I'm waffling now, sorry. Away to let my idiot out for a pee.

eta: Healthwise, i had the problem of finding a good food to keep weight on him and i think 1 serious bout of illness which had not been identified. Other than that, touch wood - no issues.
  20. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    Here is the boy I was talking about. He is looking relaxed here, between jumps.
    [​IMG]
    And this is a Czech wolfdog:
    [​IMG]
    Quite different but there are similarities: Partly the white shoulder flash and the eyes but mostly the intensity and attitude seemed much like CWDs I have met in Europe.:001:
  21. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ah!! i remember commenting on a pic of your handsome fella :lol:
    ok,now ive found my fav 'type' of gsd and the reason why :grin: thanks guys.;-) :mrgreen: