Calling Cavashon owners General Chat

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by Gee, Jan 19, 2010.

1. beau

beau New Member

Name:
    nutmeg
    I do agree the pups could still have health problems and crossing the two breeds will not eliminate that fact.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    A good breeder will only breed to better it - that is to continue to ensure the off spring are better than their parents in health, temperament, working ability and looks. To do this and do it correctly costs a lot of money, so much so that a good breeder will often only just break even and sometimes even make a loss.

So no, good breeders don't breed for cash. They breed for the love and dedication to their chosen breed.

Unfortunately the same often cannot be said of those that breed crosses for cash and give them designer names. These cross breeds are often bought on a whim, the breeder out to make money doesn't care who he or she sells them too which can mean the new owners aren't equipped to deal with the pup as the traits it inherits from it's parents will vary so much.

With the new owners unable to cope with a pup they bought on a whim, they often end up getting rid of the dog when the novelty wears off. There's also the increased risk their hearts will be broken when the dog develops some hereditary disease that wasn't tested for because the breeder didn't care enough to test it's parents before breeding.

So you see we aren't snobs, we just don't want to see yet another owner get conned and end up heart broken when the pup turns into something they weren't expecting or ends up ill because of a condition that could've been prevented. And we don't want to see yet another desiger cross breed end up in resuce because the breeder didn't care enough to sell it to the right owner in the first place. :(
  4. montysmum

montysmum New Member

Name:
    DIANA
    Which is very laudable. As I have mentioned in another post there are lots of people on here who have a vast amount of knowledge and experience that could be passed onto those of us who want to learn.

Unfortunately though, even when the OP has been a simple question about a dogs diet or something similar, as soon as the word 'doodle/cockerpoo or whatever is mentioned, the inevitable response (from some) is not to answer the question about diet, but to ask about how much was paid for the dog, why didn't they buy a pure breed etc, ask the OP to post details about the KC registration of parents so they can be checked etc.

I am sure that most on here are genuinely concerned that people getting a new dog make the right, informed choice, but I am afraid that some responses do come across as being judgemental, disapproving and condescending, and that is a shame I think.
  5. LillyRose

LillyRose New Member

Name:
    Kay
    This is a genuine question as I'm a little confused.Do the KC accept registration of cross bred puppies? Again, a genuine question.

If some fear I'm rocking the boat purposely, I'll can always find out I suppose.

And please, to the OP check out the health testing with the Cav.Not worth the heartache with a Cavalier.You might also want to look up Syringomyelia, also.A helpful point, not a dig.
  6. montysmum

montysmum New Member

Name:
    DIANA
    I dont think you are rocking the boat LilyRose. No, the cross breed pups are not accepted by the KC as they are not recognised as a breed by them.

If I can speak personally, I would never mind anyone suggesting to me I check for serious conditions, as you have about the syringomyelia, as it was done in a polite and helpful manner.

I hope that future posts regarding these type of dogs can use that as an example without becoming the arguments they usually do. :)
  7. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    I know that at times it seems that some on Dogsey are 'picking' on owners of crossbreeds, but this is not the case.

The thing is, many of the crossbreed owners don't read other threads about people buying/considering buying pedigree pups and therefore think that the questions raised/points made are only addressed to people who have bought/are considering buying a cross. But this isn't the case - the same questions are asked regarding health testing, breeder's ethics etc. when any new or inexperienced owner posts about getting ANY puppy.

(and in answer to an earlier question to BD "Do you ask someone who has just got a boxer, dalmation or whatever for their KC details so that YOU can all check they are ok??", I can say that yes, I have seen her and others do so. Maybe the manner of asking could've been phrased better e.g. 'if you would like me to I could do the checks' but the sentiment is that BD and others know where to look and what to look for whereas the majority of 'lay people' (including me) don't.
  8. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz

I think the kc has an activity regester, that accepts crossbreeds as well as purebreeds, for things like adjility etc. But otherwise no, theycan't be regestered with them.
  9. LillyRose

LillyRose New Member

Name:
    Kay
    Thanks Montysmum and Tazer for you reply.
  10. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Nothing against crossbreeds - but I can`t fathom what the aim is in this cross. What traits are they looking for?
  11. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Good post! ( again :002: )

Its not about being a snob, its about having high morals and ethics where dog breeding is concerned! and if it means we seem snobby for only believing in responsible, ethical breeding..then you know what i would be more than proud to be classed a snob! :mrgreen:
  12. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    There are, but more often than not, as I believe in the OPs case, they're out to make a quick buck.

A good breeder doesn't want a decent price for their pups, they get a decent price because they've put a lot of time and energy into the litter which means people will pay a good price. Good quality dogs fetch a good quality price. A good breeder will have a waiting list of people wanting a pup from them because of their reputation for owning for, caring for and breeding good dogs.

Did I say that? No I didn't! I believe I used the word often, which would sadly be very accurate! The whole point of my post was to warn those looking to buy a designer breed to be careful as many designer dog breeders are byb and only out to make a quick buck. Something that seems to be lost on you sadly. :?

Indeed, a byb can produce any number of different dogs, but more often than not those that advertise cross breeds with fancy names are those that don't care one jot about who they sell to or what they sell. The same can't be said for pedigrees as they have a registry and breed clubs to guide people in the right direction.

As I've already said, no one on here has breed snobbery. All we want is to ensure that yet another novice puppy buyer is conned into thinking buying a crossbreed with a designer name is a good idea. At the end of the day the majority of breeders that sell designer cross breeds have one thing in mind - money. And that's never a good thing imo.
  13. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen

What you say isnt entirely accurate. You can have all the breed clubs in the world to help people but at the end of the day, no matter how much someone has paid for a purebred dog, when they decide they want 'rid' that dog goes. Ok you say its pups that come from farms & byb, some may do but there a lot that are very well bred who still get turfed out. Why didnt the breeder help, because the 'owner' never told them they were getting rid. These are breeders who have waiting lists, who interview new owners. The problem is, alot of people say the 'right' things & give the 'right' answers. Ive said it before on here, we live in a 'throw away' society. Its a fact, not fiction.