Old fashioned straight backed GSD's Controversial

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by kirsty_, Dec 31, 2009.

1. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz

I see what you mean now ref similar build. He's gorgeous, I want one, there's just not enough room in this house for another large dog, will just have to wait. *Sighs*
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    I have stated my preference before (surprise) but if you look back at post 86 you can see what nature intended! I would have a CSV over a GSD any day as the shape is so much more pure and -to my mind- the angulation of the leg is more natural: it is designed to work.

The only point against the CsV is that they do tend to make silly faces:lol: :lol: :lol:
  4. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    GSDs are very special. They bond closely with their owner, they are loyal courageous and provide wonderful companionship. They have a soul and it shines out of their eyes.
    They have not been well served by some greedy pot hunting breeders. But thankfully they have a dedicated fanbase. :grin:
    Does `type` or coat length really matter?
  5. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

6. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Well said Claire :-D I wouldn't swap my GSDs for the world!
  7. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Good post C&D.

My GSDs growing up had all those qualities but I think things have changed for us with Zane and Yiannis.

I wouldn't describe either of them as courageous. Zane is a big wimp and will come crying to me about something then run away. Yiannis is oblivious and completely indifferent to mostly what's going on around him and could reasily get himself into trouble without knowing it.

I suppose in their own way they could be described as courageous depending on the situation but you're absolutely right about the other qualities. Loyalty, trust, integrity and the best companions in the world.

Laura xx
  8. liverbird

liverbird New Member

Name:
    KAREN
    i am with you on that one Claire :grin:
  9. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    You've got my vote too, especially about the soul that shines out of their eyes, I really like that statement, it's spot on!

I've had all types and coat lengths, and although it doesn't really matter to me, my preference is for the long if I have the choice. However, I don't mind straight backs, slopey backs, gangly legs, weird colours, big heads or small heads, as long as it's gsd inside that's all that counts for me, I'm totally biased, no other dog comes close to these guys imo!:grin: I'd go so far as to say, I wouldn't even mind an aggressive one,coz I'm sure with my experience of them I could turn it around...... eventually!;-) ;-)
  10. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    Here is a typical GSD of a type I see every day in this area. Sorry I cant show the picture but here is a link: http://www.sosad.org/cgi-bin/fotoalbum.php.cgi?v=single&a=16&i=374&c=8

He is available for adoption from our local rescue centre. They charge 450 euros but he will have a passport, has been hip x-rayed, vaccinated, chipped and had initial training as a guide dog. His parents are registered pedigree. He is about 10 months old and very handsome.

This seems a typical GSD that I remember from growing up. If I din't have a dog (or so many) then I would be down there in a shot.
  11. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    so sad :-( he is one handsome fella....lovely face ;-) :mrgreen:
  12. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    interesting thread - I was particularly interested in the original way that the GSD was worked - I believed that the GSD, BSD and Dutch Shepherd were all bred to be 'living fences' as well as 'guardians of the flock' - the need for effortless ground covering movement was paramount and if you look at the physical similarities between all three breeds originally they did all have the same lightish frame , moderate angulation, length of leg and top line - now only the BSD and Dutch Shepherd have retained their original build - the GSD has changed into something almost unrecognisable from it's original 'blueprint' .
  13. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
  14. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    I always preferred the look of the German type over the English. Had a real soft spot for the very rich colourings too, but my boy Jasper was lighter than that.

Here he was (taken many moons ago now when I was in my early twenties *sigh* wish I was now!!):lol:

We did well at Open Show level, never got to take him to a Champ show sadly as he ended up knocking some teeth out when him and Brandy went for the same toy in the air and she accidentally headbutted him!!:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The judge in this first pic told me that you could make him look more English or German depending on how you stood him. This was just at a local exemption show where we went for practice and did quite well LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    Nice pictures Ann-Marie, he looks like a lighter version of my Alfe
  16. LanesShepherds

LanesShepherds New Member

Name:
    Lane
    There are a few of us still around check here [Link removed]

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011
  17. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    Oh fantastic link there lanesShepherds, thanks for that!:)

Your Jasper was a stunner AM, very much like one of mine I had many moons ago:)
  18. boredinstroud

boredinstroud New Member

Name:
    Emily
    Hi Jodee - not knowing much about shows etc., I'd be interested to know why the coat colour matters given that the other rules about build, coat type etc. that you have mentioned relate to the GSD as a working dog?
  19. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
  20. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    German sheep breeds do not respond to white dogs QED
  21. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Never heard of them but a quick pedigree check shows their dogs are quite heavily bred to known epileptics or epileptic producers despite them having a lot of old German breeding behind them(go back to Quadrille & Quebec & Ingosohn of Erol) the guidewell dogs are not without their health conditions either.

No one should breed from a bitch with a lopsided score ie 0:7 & their dogs hipscores have not improved as they should have done(recent bitch as a HD score wekk into the teens