Old fashioned straight backed GSD's Controversial

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by kirsty_, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    ;-) :lol: Tcht! Jackieeeeeee:lol: :lol:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
  4. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    so the german shepherds on the link i posted...is that how gsd's are ment to be?
  5. Heather and Zak

Heather and Zak New Member

Name:
    heather
    Just looked at the link Kirsty, at the side is another video of the history of the change of the German Shepherds ( I don't know how to post links sorry:blush: )I think the older dogs look far more natural, lovely straight backs. Some of the up to date dogs look deformed to me.
  6. liverbird

liverbird New Member

Name:
    KAREN
    so do you think Bailey has an ok back shape, obviously not KC standard. but strong looking i think.
  7. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Hi,

Bailey is gorgeous. Both my GSDs (Zane & Yiannis) have straight backs but they are different builds (does that make sense?). Zane is very tall and lanky with long legs and weighs jsut 10 stone now (after putting weight back on). Although he isn't fat but now very muscular.

Yiannis on the other hand seems to be of a "lower" build with a more bulky body type.

I'll try to get them both standing straight and upload a photo.

Personally I don't like those that are bred with sloping backs. If the onyl reason they look that way is because of how they're standing inthe ring then I don't see a major problem with it but why on earth should GSDs have to stand this way anyway? I think they should be allowed to stand up straight as other breeds do.

Laura xx
  8. Labman

Labman New Member

Name:
    Ted
    I don't think I ever saw any working GSD with a ski slope back. Just missbred show dogs.
  9. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Er no if you look at his topline it's dips under the line & is therefore not correct, of cousre it could be the way he is stood
  10. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Can you tell me what sort of"working"GSDs you have seen ? Obedience, "assistance"dogs, Police/military dogs ? Were they stood in the show stance at the time ??

FYI the majority of military & police dogs are from Germany breeding in most of the world & that does include the USA BTW

Still waiting for your answer to my question as to which "service"dog provider you work for BTW
  11. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    It actually is the way that GSDs naturally stand when they are alert.

I'd be interested to see your dogs in stance as you can check the proportions, no matter whether a GSD is at the higher or lower levels of the height limits, the proportions should always be the same, slightly longer that tall & chest no more than just less than the height in plain English. So if a tall dog is not deep enough in chest or a short dog is too long it is very obvious

You mean you want to see GSDs being baited like a Labrador or stacked like a Setter ? Far better to allow the dogs to free stand on the end of the lead after all you cannot hide a poor temperament on a dog shown like that, stacking & baiting can be used to hide all but the very aggressive temperament
  12. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Hi

I'll upload some photos of both Zane and Yiannis when in stance (even though I don't show them other than in fun shows) and standing in a more "natural" manner (although that may be the wrong way to describe it).

I've not seen labs or setters baited so I'm not sure what you mean. But if it means that the dog stands up strsight and proud with all their legs straight then yes, I would prefer it. Although it possibly wouldn't show what the judges need to see in the ring.

If I tell Zane to stand, (he can do this himself without me interferring) he will place his front legs shoulder width apart and his legs will be very straight.

His back legs will also be hip width apart and compeltely straight. He stands very proud with his chest puffed out and his head slightly up. He is very vain though.

If I put him into a show stance then it seems as though his back legs are bent somewhat and he doesn't seem comfortable, although it could be just because he's not used to it.

Now I have a fully working PC, I'll be taking piccies. I know thqat neither of them confomr to the breed standrad, Zane particularly because he's way oversized. I'll try to get the piccies on here by later this evening.

Laura xx
  13. Labman

Labman New Member

Name:
    Ted
    Like many other things here, how many times do I have to explain that I protect the school from people on the internet by never specifying which one. It is not that important. I have contacts with other schools. Much of what the schools do is the same, mostly minor details. Things like different common brands of dog food. Often one school will try something new while the others watch and adopt it if it works well. They are continually refining their programs. It was about 4 years ago that they changed from 4 months to 3 to cut back to 2 meals a day.
  14. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    i think it's far more likely that you don't want anyone from Dogsey informing the schools you claim to work for of your treatment of dogs in your "care".

Joedee - Here is a piccie of Zane taken about 3/4 months ago. I found it on my Photobucket account. Personally I think it's a poor picture in terms of how he's standing but you may get an idea of his build, stance etc from this. I'll post better quality ones later when I've taken them.

[​IMG]

Laura xx
  15. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Hi again,

I know this doesn't show him standing properly but from this you can see that Yiannis is a different body shape/build to Zane.

[​IMG]

Laura xx
  16. liverbird

liverbird New Member

Name:
    KAREN
    :shock: gutted :010:

:lol: not
  17. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    If I was judging him, he'd get my vote that's for sure;-) :grin:
  18. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Labman are you sure it isn't to protect yourself because the methods you advocate are inhumane and you are scared you will be reported?

Let's take just one aspect of your puppy care with which many disagree, your assertion that a puppy rarely needs water see your reply here made to Shona...

See this quote from The Humane Society of the United States..
    I note your profile also states you don't use 'positive reinforcement ' methods (and this is born out by your use of a mouse trap and various other aversive) to train dogs though strangely in one of your posts you say your organisation recommends reading books like The Culture Clash which is all about positive training, so clearly you don't follow all the guidelines recommended by the organisation who entrusts you with the care of puppies.

I would be interested to see what the Humane Society of the US think of your methods and those supposedly advocated by your anonymous organisation ..

ETA I appreciate this post is 'Off topic' but as Labman continues to post all over the site criticising others, saying his experience is superior to that of everyone else, making claims about this anonymous school, I think it is in the interests of the site and the many people reading these posts looking for information that he is challenged.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2010
  19. liverbird

liverbird New Member

Name:
    KAREN
    awww bless you :grin:
  20. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    From one who knows nothing about breed standards or judging, only about what I like and dislike, can someone explain why this is so important in the GSD and no other herding dog?
  21. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Hi Nippy,

I'm the same as you in that respect. It's just my personal preference for a GSD to be straight-backed. I know nothing about showing really or breeding so other than stating what I like, I can't really contribute anything useful to a thread arguing the pros and cons of the structure of the GSD (that's not to say you'r enot able to contribute something useful).

Laura xx