Trust - A Deadly Disease Discussions

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by mo, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    WOLVES !!

It's my birthday today so you have GOT to allow me to say it without getting all uppity !!

:038: : :038: :038:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    If they are not worked in harness, no definitely not, no way, no how. If they are worked regularly, then I will concede that is not TOO bad. Still not perfect though. Dogs, all dogs, are designed to run free some of the time.
  4. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    happy birfday to wooo :grin: :grin: :grin:

not gonna get uppity Red ;-) ;-) .....but i do disagree,i live with a dog with 'wolf blood' hes a different kettle of fish altogether ;-) ;-) :mrgreen:

eta.... meow!!!...cats not wolves :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:
  5. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    No, I just can't. Because this would apply to ANY dog, not just a northern breed. As Tassle has so succinctly put it, NO dog is 100% reliable. Many of us, me included, have lost dogs to traffic accidents, for instance. Accidents happen the whole time, millions and millions every day everywhere, they are an unavoidable part of life, however careful we can be.
  6. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Can't begin to !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  7. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
  8. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    No no, definitely wolves !!

I do agree though that wolfie guys are so different ... which is why I compare huskies and mals to them :002:
  9. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    PS : Thanks for the birthday greetings, Tupacs, sorry, forgot me manners there !!
  10. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    It's not the same though, is it, running in a safe area. My parents have 6 acres of beautiful garden and woodland for their dogs to run in, but they still used to go ballistic with excitement at being taken "out" for walkies!!
  11. SibeVibe

SibeVibe New Member

Name:
    Seoniad
  12. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    How do you know it's not the same to the dog? Methinks you are getting a tad anthropomorphic.
    BTW - our dogs go ballistic for being taken out for a walk too - on lead!

Mick :lol: :lol:
  13. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
  14. Kanikula

Kanikula New Member

Name:
    Sam
    One question - what do you (those who think its "unfulling" to be on lead) think about animals and birds in cages?
  15. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    This is coming from someone who has no experience of theses breeds.

But from what is written on here by those who own these dogs, regards then not being allowed off lead, in relation ot other strong minded breeds/dogs.

My observation on this is , (I may be way of the mark) that , Yes I agree any dog of any breed or cross can have an appalling recall,

But from what I understand th husky/Mal, is bred to run and run and run, added the extremely high prey drive.

So my guess is the difference between taking the risk of allowing all dogs off lead and ALL of them having poor recall, and ****ing off, it that generally other breeds in question may ignore you go off on a jolly , pick a scent up and so on, but generally they dont go to far away from you, and eventually they will either come to find you or you will find them.

Where as (as I understand it,) these breeds will run and dont stop till they have either met a road/ gun, or made it to the next county!!

There natural instinct kicks in and as they are bred to cover a vast amount of mileage at speed, thats what they do!!! be it in harness or on their own.

So in effect , I can see , if Iam anywhere near the reasons, is why they are 1) not allowed off lead 2) make then different to other breeds!
  16. SibeVibe

SibeVibe New Member

Name:
    Seoniad
    To simply highlight that I agree with you :) Dogs are kept on leads for many reasons not just breed specific awareness. It would be nice if these guys were allowed a safe environment to 'run free some of the time' too :)

Yes, not nice to see an overweight bored Siberian Husky. I can understand why your heart went out to the dog.

I'm glad you had a lovely birthday. Hope Tai's lip is better after his pub brawl :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Take good care.

Seoniad.
  17. SibeVibe

SibeVibe New Member

Name:
    Seoniad
    Hello Tassle :)

My guys do not have 99% recall. Team Hooligan is a work in progress :roll: :lol:

All our dogs are adopted and we have had to work harder than we did with our first sibes who were trained from puppies.

I thought about what you mentioned earlier with regards to walking the sandy dunes with my guys off lead. After some serious consideration of each dog as an individual I concluded that with Jacub (husky x mal) I would have an 85% chance of recall. The girls Sabaka and Darcy around 70%, maybe more, I may be doing the girls an injustice. And 40% chance with Isaac :shock: ;-)

Isaac came to live with us when he was 8 months old. Unregistered, back door bred for the pet market, small liver and epilepsy. His working ethic and desire to run is breath taking, but could cost him his life. Everything about him is full speed ahead.

He had no interest in other dogs, stopping to enjoy a sniff around or even the sheep in the field, he is consumed with a desire to move forward in a working mindset. To the point where he would 'sled dog scream' with frustration because the other guys had stopped to critter hunt and roll around in hedges. Music to the ears at a rally when the dogs are vocal with excitment before they hit the trail but not when the guys are out on a relaxed walk with other dogs and dog walkers. It's taken a while to get Isaac to 'stop and smell the coffee' so to speak.

His recall training has progressed to a 90ft training lead and he really enjoys his sessions while we wander round the local fields. But at this point in his life if I were to let him off lead in an unenclosed area he would choose to run and lose me in an instant.

Hopefully one day I will be able to say that my guys have 99% recall but for now, we will keep training :)

Isaac is always in front! :roll: :mrgreen:
    [​IMG]

Take good care.

Seoniad.
  18. SibeVibe

SibeVibe New Member

Name:
    Seoniad
    Spot on the mark Jackbox :)

My understanding and experience of the Siberian Husky too.

Take care.

Seoniad.
  19. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    yip!! just like my Kaos did :-( although the circumstances why he ran were not because he was off the lead,but the outcome was the same ,4 weeks and 4 days apart from me and the rest of his family :-(
  20. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    No pet of mine has ever been confined to a cage. All my many hamsters were let out every evening to run round the bathroom, or any room where they couldn't disappear down a hole or do any damage. My parrot was free-range. She had a huge cage which was permanently open. She had the run of the house as it were. My rabbits were free-range. My daughter's rabbits lived in the tree house in the garden, but were only shut up at night, they had the door open during the day to come and go.
  21. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    You miss no opportunity to make comment about my type of dog ... and yet YOU have no experience of owning them or living with them. Whereas at least I have considerable experience of northern breed types. As you very well know, my dog is a mix of husky, mal and a bit of wolf. Boxers are very far removed from northern breeds. I suggest you take the ruddy great brick out of your eye first Jackbox, before attempting to take the mote out of mine !!