Any advice for a 1st time GSD owner? General Chat

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by pinkgunner, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks :grin: My bitch is 7 years old and came from a breeder in Essex (Affix: Sorumour) out of a Foxfold dog.

My dog is 14 months and, as I have already said, is from Kazeti :grin:

Once you have had a German Shepherd, you won't want any other breed again ;-) ;-) ;-)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. pinkgunner

pinkgunner New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    Well, they are lovely!

I would love to have one ASAP but I have to hold out for 12-18 months, just til my daughter settles at school, and my Golden Retriever, Ruby is a bit more mature.

How are the long coats for grooming, some seem to be not quite as thick and heavy as others? Rubys coat is easy to groom but my BMD has a really heavy thick coat and it's more of an ordeal than enjoyable, although he is a nightmare to brush as he got away with mouthing me and running off when he was a pup and still does it now when he sees the brush :roll:
  4. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    My two have very different coats. I suspect my girlie, Flame's, coat was affected when she was spayed. It is very, very thick, matts easily and is a nightmare. I have to groom her every day, but she is a real water (muddy puddle!) baby and so it is a constant battle to keep her matt-free.

Yogi's on the other hand is sort of soft and silky and very very easy to look after. He only needs grooming every few days.

I have actually found that they shed less though than my standard coat, Sharna, who used to moult all year round. Swings and roundabouts springs to mind ;-)
  5. pinkgunner

pinkgunner New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    Yeah, I was told that if I had Ruby spayed it would change her coat and it would go "wooly" ! It never did though, Yogi sounds like he has a coat like hers, although Rubys isnt quite as long, it is soft and silky and very easy to brush.

Have you had Yogi castrated?
  6. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Hi,

I'd agree to a certain extent. I was lookin gat a rescue Akita. I passed the home check. The dog concerned was great with other dogs and children (I have 2 GSDS, 1 GSD/Akita and a 5 year old). Then the rescue got back to me to say weverything woul dbe fine and could I contact the fosterer to arrange meeting up fo rthe dog to come to me.

After 3 weeks of me calling adn not getting any answer, I was told the fosterer had stayed in and wauited for my call. They insisted I didn't call and as I had a young Son, now was not hte right time for me to rehome an Akita. Ludicrous!

Having said that, my youngest GSD, Yiannis came to me from Birmingham DH at 3 months old. They knew in advance I had a Son and other dogs.

I think it depends onthe rescue concerned and whether they look at the individual situation or whether they use a blanket policy. I know it can be difficult htough.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do and please pst piccies when you eventually get your new dog.

Can we see some piccies of your current dogs please?

Laura xx
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    No, Yogi isn't castrated, and won't be unless there are any problems.
  8. pinkgunner

pinkgunner New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    I've posted pics of my dogs in the "Yours Dogs" section,
    hope you think they are as gorgeous as I do :mrgreen:
  9. jennyfotos

jennyfotos New Member

Name:
    jennyfotos
    check out kazetigsds.co.uk. I have a kazeti gsd puppy. Low hip/elbow scores, stunning dogs with fabulous temperaments. Also, the breeders ask you to sign a contract saying they'll take the dog back if for whatever reason, you are no longer able to keep it.
  10. pinkgunner

pinkgunner New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    Hi everyone,

Thank you to all of you who gave me advice a while back in my quest to find a puppy! I am thrilled to tell you all that I collected my little boy today from Kazeti's today.

He's so gorgeous it's unreal, haha!

Anyway, I will post pics tomoro when I put them onto my computer.

:grin:
  11. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    So happy for you!!!!
  12. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    fabby, lets get some pics up!
  13. jennyfotos

jennyfotos New Member

Name:
    jennyfotos
    Yay, glad you got a Kazeti. What's the mum's name, is it Xala? If so, then my dog and yours are half brothers!!!
    You'll never regret getting a kazeti!!
  14. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Hooray, you have your Kazeti pup home .... pics now please!!! What have you called him?
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    ooh another Kazeti :grin: Pics of your lad too please. My boy, Yogi, is out of Anja (sadly now passed on :cry: ) and the utterly gorgeous Axel :grin:
  16. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever New Member

Name:
    Robyn
    Looking forward to seeing your new puppy :)
  17. jennyfotos

jennyfotos New Member

Name:
    jennyfotos
    Hi there,
    My dog's name is Shane and he is out of Xala, father is the gorgeous Farlo.
    Will attach a couple of pics..... can I see some of your pics of your dogs too please?
    Kazeti ARE the best!!!!
    Oh no...... I press the Insert Image and it wants a website address, my pics are on my computer... can you tell me what to do please?
    Thanks
  18. MichaelM

MichaelM

Name:
    Michael
    You need to upload them to a host site - photobucket/flickr or similar. Failing that, mail them to me and I'll put them for you.

Michael
  19. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Here is my lad, Yogi :grin:

[​IMG]

If you look in my profile and search under threads started by moobli then you will be able to see loads of photos of my lot, if you are interested ;-)
  20. pinkgunner

pinkgunner New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    Hi,

Thanks everyone, he's called Diesel.

Im using my boyfriends laptop as the charger for mine is broken, as soon as I sort out a charger for mine, I will upload some pics of my beautiful boy! :grin:

xx
  21. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Hurry up - can't wait! How is Diesel settling in?