Crate Training Beagles Training

Discussion in 'Beagle' started by springers4me, Aug 12, 2009.

1. springers4me

springers4me New Member

Name:
    emily

Crate Training Beagles

from being told a springer wasnt the righ dog for us were now looking at BEAGLES

just ondering a 6 month old beagle would be okay left alone crated (until housetrained)

would be walked before hand left with tv on and plenty of toys such as kongs ect

then out when we get in of course on a nice walk run and play :)

thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Sarah27

Sarah27 New Member

Name:
    Edna
    Hi there, I've been reading your other thread. I was just thinking, you might be better off with a dog that isn't a working breed.

Beagles are extremely highly scent motivated and can be difficult to recall train (so might have to be kept on lead) - this is what I've heard and read anyway.

You could always have a trip to Dog's Trust, tell them your situation and they will be able to advise you on the best type of dog for you. You might even be better off with an older dog that could be left for longer periods.

My first dog was 10 months old when we got him (PRT) and was already house trained. We could leave him for a few hours at a time as well. My second dog is about 5 years old and also was house trained. They can be left together now for about 6 hours no problem.

So sometimes an older dog is a good choice when you can't be home all the time.

HTH x
  4. springers4me

springers4me New Member

Name:
    emily
    hello thanks for this :D

and yep aware of them maybe needed to be on a lead but where fine with it :D

we want a puppy for the experience and too train it our way ect ect , the dog wont be left until 6months old

thankyou :D
  5. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Hi springers4me - why not ask what dogs 'might' be suitable for you instead? And then look carefully at those first?

Also, you really should be discussing these things with your parents - it shouldn't be left for a minor to make these decisions. If your parents are not going to, or not willing to get involved then perhaps it'd be better off waiting to get a dog until you have moved out?

Also, it's against our terms of use for under 18's to register - so you'll need to ask your parent to take over the account and to post on your behalf.
  6. springers4me

springers4me New Member

Name:
    emily
    the dog breeds are discussed as a family then i come on here to post peoples thought on certain things :D

7. JIMMY LAW

JIMMY LAW New Member

Name:
    JIM
    With the right training, all of the beagles which i walk with(which is 8 ) are all off the lead.As long as your in the right inviroment the Beagle is a great dog off the lead but you have to understand the breads characteristics and understand they will run when on the scent, so being close to the road is not recommended. In my case my two Beagles will respond pretty much every time on a whistle. I can take my dogs close to the road or carparks but this has taken a good 2/3 years of dedication. The Beagle is a cracking dog for the family and a happy dog in general. As long as you know they need a lot of exercise, 20 minutes up the road twice a day is no where near enough so be prepared. If you are really interested in a Beagle try the www.beagleadvice.org.uk and download the rehoming list there are Beagles of all ages, if you can not see one you want there is a list of area officers, give them a ring and they will put on the list and will advise what dog will suit you and your family. Good luck in finding the right dog and you should be commended in coming across as a potential good dog owner who is showing a real interest.
  8. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Beagles are also a high energy breed. Much of the advice given to you about Springers also applies to Beagles, too.

Most 6 month old dogs, provided they are exercised and stimulated before had, are fine to spend a couple of hours crated. Four hours should be the maximum amount of time that a dog is left in a crate during the day. Any more then that and it just isn't fair or practical with an active young dog.

Have you actually clarified what your college hours are yet? I noticed that you dodged that question numerous times in your other thread. Before you commit to any dog, you MUST have an idea of what your schedule is. Dogs are a massive commitment, especially in their first couple of years where they are especially demanding.

Also, summer breaks are 6 weeks long. Assuming you got an 8 week old puppy, how is that you think you will have an additional 4 months to raise the pup?
  9. Pidge

Pidge New Member

Name:
    Em
    Dear God!!!!!!!!
  10. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    I never said anything on the first thread but if you can change your mind more often than you change your underwear on you choice of dog then you need to sit down and have a good long think about it and not just piping up with breeds you think are cute or whatever.

Why did you want a springer?

What is different that is now attracting you to a beagle?

What kind of things are you looking for/not wanting in a dog? What do you want to do with your dog? Agility? Showing? Nothing in particular?

Seems to me, that if you are indeed for real, you really don't know what you want.

I agree with Az in starting a new thread and stating why you want a dog, what you are prepared to do for it, hours e.t.c., seriously, this is a commitment which will last perhaps 15 years or more. That's a long time, think how old you will be then, what will happen in your life between now and then. What about when you go to uni? Get a job? Leave home? What will happen to the dog? Where will it stay/who with? How long will people be at home when you are in uni and/or work full time? It's not just thinking about the now and a nice cute wee pup, it's thinking about the next decade of your life and then some and deciding if you can offer a dog a happy and stable life for the whole of it's life. And this is why you need to get the right dog, because the wrong choice will leave the whole family in dispute and disruption over it, not to mention the poor dog. Happens everyday, don't add to it.
  11. Sarah27

Sarah27 New Member

Name:
    Edna
    Maybe summer holiday boredom is setting in ;-)
  12. Mese

Mese New Member

Name:
    Rozlyn
    to be fair every dog that is suggested to her and her family as ideal for their situation , they then get a load of other people come along and give her x amount of reasons why that dog isnt suitable
    No wonder they are getting very confused as to what the best breed for them is

Maybe them doing some hard research into breeds is called for before coming onto the forums , that way they will be armed with tons of info before asking current owners of their chosen breed what they thought :)
  13. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

The answer to this question is the same as to the other thread.. No , its not OK to crate a PUPPY of any breed for more than 4hrs a day.
  14. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Not sure where peopel have suggested one breed and someone else has been negative.

Emily has come here with two breeds and from reading both threads...she has had a almost unanimous response telling her to rethink any dog till she has got her education work load sorted.

I must have missed where members have supported her on crating for 4 hrs or more a day.

Maybe if the posters parents came on backing up her request for a dog and guaranteeing their support in the dog life , we could give a better response to her.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2009
  15. Mese

Mese New Member

Name:
    Rozlyn
    hi hun
    ive been on two forums now where she's been asking advice , so far the family have been advised that these dogs would suit them , SBT , BC , ESS & Beagle .... and then told by a different group of people that those breeds arent suitable at all
    I have no idea where they were told it was ok to crate a puppy for that long , everyone ive seen advise them , inc myself , have said it def wasnt ok

Im not defending the crating issue , merely why she looks to be chopping and changing her mind all the time , she's just trying to take in what people are telling her and to do the right thing

Thats just the way im seeing it anyway
  16. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I see, got you now.

Maybe if one of her parents came on asking for advice on what dog they want,, and giving up a little info on what they want and what time they have to give to a dog, it might go a little better........after all the buck is going to stop with them, so they need to enlighten us to their routine and commitments.
  17. Hannaho

Hannaho New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    hiya ive got two beagles if you can spend a good three hours a day to walk them - well run them they are a fantastic breed - if you dont have the time to then it may not be the best choice of dog they need alot of exercise

good luck though x