Gardens Home & Garden

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Toedtoes, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I ended up getting a post surgery shoe for my toe. It has helped a lot. I unwad a cotton ball and wrap it around the toe, then wrap all the toes in vet wrap - just tight enough to keep them still and then wear the shoe. It is working. No pain. At night I remove everything to let my foot breathe.

Today, my hummingbird garden has officially made it on the Hummingbird Tour.

Yesterday, a calliope hummingbird came to eat. And today, I had a male rufous hummingbird and a male anna hummingbird and a female anna hummingbird all come to eat. The anna female even came to the front door twice chittering and looking at Tornado-dog through the security door. Getting the butterflies and bees too.

I'll get out my camera and try to get some hummingbird photos this week.

In the backyard, I have planted 15 of my ice plants in the tiered planter.
    IMG_20240417_135013128.jpg

They are starting to grow and bloom.

I also ordered 4 cliff maids (2 sunset strain and 2 little peach) online and they arrived.
    IMG_20240417_134932296-1.jpg

I'm currently painting some old cinder blocks. I'm going to make a small wall with them (4 on end side by side, 2 laid on top with the holes upward, and 2 laid in front with the holes upward) and plant the cliff maids and ice plants in them to create a rock garden of sorts.
    IMG_20240417_133020454-1.jpg

4 of the blocks will be "bird song blue" (pictured) on the outside with "niagara falls" blue (very pale blue with a touch of green) on the inside of the holes, and 4 will be the reverse. I've got 3 painted so far. I'll set them up on my patio once we move the gazebo.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    I'm thrilled that you have attracted hummingbirds! Don't you just love it when a plan comes together. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.
    I'm sorry you are having so much pain with your toe. No breaks but I have arthritis in my toes, and wrists and thumbs, so I wear slightly larger shoes to allow for slices of memory foam. Feet are my least favourite body parts.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    It's definitely a thrill seeing it fullfilled. I spent over a month planning out the yard and selecting plant varieties to cater to hummingbirds. Then all the work my yard guy did removing the topsoil, cutting down the privet, removing the stump, laying weed barrier (which in hindsight was not necessary), digging the holes for my plants, and delivering the paving stones. Then my work in buying the plants, planting them, laying the paving stones, and keeping everything alive (I did actually do some of the work) for a year. So seeing multiple hummingbirds come, and different types, just makes it all worthwhile.

And Tornado-dog was very polite to the Anna (maybe she was the one who kept glaring at my cameras and convinced me to do it all).

I always hear the sparrows and finches all day long every day year round but have rarely heard hummingbirds. Today, I've been hearing the hummingbirds chitter all day so they seem to be hanging out.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    I finally finished painting the blocks:
    IMG_20240421_105716615.jpg

And planting the plants. I left the two top centers empty because I want to put Jewel of Desert Topaz delospermas in them but haven't been able to get any yet.
    IMG_20240421_115512381.jpg

The planter box on the left has my Loch Ness blackberries, Nova raspberry, and Chester blackberry. The sapling straight back is the honey granite myrtle. The western redbud and slim bottlebrush are to the right of it. The rest is in limbo until the trees grow and I can see how the sun exposure changes.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    Loch Ness blackberries are a new one to me. We have blackberries tripping us up anywhere that isn't under cultivation but they don't have names. A good idea to keep them contained by blocks. Surprising though, depending on where you pick them, blackberries do have different sizes, shapes and flavours. Chas and I had a favourite bramble patch in the country park that had a distinct flavour of blackberry and apple, rather than just blackberry. Raspberries are my favourite fruits - the bigger and jucier the better. Good with whisky!
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    I never knew there were varieties. I just remember the ones between our house and the neighbor's when I was growing up. We spent hours sitting out the eating them.

Both blackberry varieties are thornless and the raspberry is supposed to have fewer and smaller thorns than most. They are varieties that apparently do well in this climate. Both blackberries are UK varieties. The Nova raspberry is Canadian (Nova represents Nova Scotia).

They should be fairly contained there - under the planter is actually concrete in that section. That should also cut down on rodents trying to build burrows under the brambles.

I'm thinking about pickling them. I found some recipes for cold pickling fruits and it says you can use balsamic vinegar. I have a bottle of a strawberry peach balsamic vinegar and thought that might make a tasty topping for ice cream or even shortcake and whipped cream.
  8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    My first photos of my Anna hummingbird and her mate.

Here she is:
    Anna.jpg

Anna closeup.jpg

And here he is. His head and throat flash magenta, but he hasn't let me capture that yet.
    Anna's Man.jpg
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    They are beautiful! What height are they feeding at? Do they come fairly close to humans.
    I have been watching some tiny birds, (probably blue tits, it's hard to see against the sky), that nest every year in the ridge of the house on the corner. They are so busy coming and going with feathers and other bits for their nest, but often a crow will sit like a sentry over their entrance, waiting to pounce. They are so clever at avoiding him, but sadly he does get the occasional baby when they emerge.
    Tally is moulting, so I put her hair combings into a feeding cage. It's never their for long. I'm careful not to use anything toxic on her coat.
  10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    They will go right to the ground. Yesterday, they were feeding from the catmint blooms just inches off the ground.

The hummingbird sage in the photos has been rolled on by stray cats at night and was growing sideways on the ground and they would get down there to feed. I just caged the plant so the blooms are now higher up - about 3 feet off the ground.

I was sitting in my chairs in the front for these photos so the female was within 10 feet of me and let me take multiple photos. The male stayed further away - maybe 15-20ft and takes off as soon as he realizes I took his photo.

I'm hoping I'll see babies .

Yesterday, there were also some house sparrows gathering twigs and stuff for nests. One morning I saw one on top of my trailer dragging about 4-5 squares of TP - don't know where he found it, but he seemed happy to have done so.

The crows haven't been around much lately. I did have a pair of scrub jays throwing bark around the yard yesterday (looking for insects).

And there's a rodent in the yard. It's not a rat or mouse. Looks more like a golden hamster. Might be a vole. Tornado-dog wants it bad.
  11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    @CaroleC to answer your question as to how high(low) they go to feed:
    Catmint Hummingbird Gold.jpg

It's a Boy.jpg

And here's a not so great shot of his head almost vibrant magenta:
    Glimpse of Glory.jpg

And our scrub jays:
    Grubbing.jpg

And for @who owns who, "Who's Watching Who:
    Whos Watching Who.jpg
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I didn't realise that they fed near to the ground. Must be risky having your beak in a flower with wildlife about!
    Your Jays are much prettier than ours, which are brown with just a blue flash. They are usually only seen in wooded areas but they are aggressive towards smaller birds.
  14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Yeah. The scrub jays are pretty. Many people think they are bluebirds. They can be aggressive. Years ago when my cats were indoor/outdoor, I had a very sweet male cat, Raoul. One day, he was laying in the grass in the backyard and a jay flew to the fence and started jumping around and talking at Raoul. When he focused on the bird, another jay flew from around the back and whacked Raoul on the head. And they kept doing it to him. The sad thing is that Raoul was NOT a hunter and had no real interest in the birds at all.

We had a good rain this morning. The sun is finally coming out for the first time today.

One of my Loch Ness blackberries has fruits on it. A lot for the small plant size. The other berries are all doing well but no blooms or berries so far. My lemo sages in the backyard that I just got last month have blooms started. One of my Little John bottlebrushes in the front is blooming and my slim bottlebrush in back has blooms. One of my hot & cold poker plants in front has blooms. I planted my desert willow the other day but he is really stressed. I'm hoping today's rain makes him feel better. I'm not sure why he stressed out so much, he was doing great in his original pot.