Running a weim Questions

Discussion in 'Weimaraner' started by Mama21, Nov 22, 2023.

1. Mama21

Mama21 New Member

Name:
    Jodi

Running a weim

Hi, so I have a one year old weim and an electric bike. I can easily run him at his ideal pace for as many miles as he needs (huge blessing!). Sooo...what is ideal?? We just ran 3 miles in maybe 15 minutes. He's looking at me like he could do another 10, but I also don't want to kill my dog :p plus, do I need to stop and give him water?! Haha He pants hard cause he's running hard... can someone who knows the breed well, please advise? Thank you all!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Because he can do it doesn't mean that he should do it. The long bones in large breeds can be damaged by too much wear while they are still developing, so he should be following a training plan, not just going flat out for long distances.
    CaniCross is an established dog sport in the UK, which has subdivisions for bikes and scooters too. Their 'Trailrunners' website is quite informative and offers free 5k training plans too.
    www.canicross.org.uk/canicross-training
  4. Mama21

Mama21 New Member

Name:
    Jodi
    Thanks for the link, I'll check it out...
    I'm definitely not going for training, I just want to release his energy and keep him exercised and happy :} so if that means a slower pace for longer, then I can do that, but they clearly enjoy speed as much as a gallop. I'm sure the training site will have good info, tho, thanks :]
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Physical energy is good, but mental exercise can be even more important for energy and happiness. Be sure you include activities that require him to think rather than just running. Sniffing things out, obstacle courses, etc, can all help tire him out mentally.
  6. Mama21

Mama21 New Member

Name:
    Jodi
    Yes, we considered that when we first got him. I have 5 kids and they like to teach him tricks and such, and they do play with him, but obviously the time and dedication to our dog's well-being ebbs and flows...I take him to a day care a couple times a week so he gets in other play time as well.